I am already a beer snob! how?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spam

Reaction score
Until tonight I thought my home brew was just ok. That all changed tonight when someone at a party offered me a coors lite. YUCK It tasted like an ashtray. I find this so strange. coors was never my fave BUT I would not have said yuck in the past. I just cant get over HOW much home brewing has changed my taste buds!

My wife (who does not brew) has now made the seventh level of beer snobbery. Asked me to pick up some more of that Stone Ruination last weekend. Ha I didnt tell her it was $18 a sixer.

I changed all my ways the first time I smelled hops in a boil. Never look back.

I think I was born a beer snob. I had a taste of Keystone when I was 5, didn't like it. A taste of Red Stripe when I was 10, not great but definitely better than the Keystone. Guinness and Sam Adams Boston Lager showed me that beer had flavor... good flavor, and it snowballed from there.

Welcome to the addiction.

I don't think you're a beer snob, I think you are open minded enough to try ester laden ales. So many people I know are huge fans of clean easy drinking lagers. Coors and Bud are doing something right or they wouldn't have 99% of the world beer business. I have a couple friends that won't even try a beer unless it says "Bud Light". It makes me want to can 4 cases of my IPA in Bud Light cans. Anyway, when I have a Coors Light I try to compare it to other commercial styles of light lagers. Trying to compare Coors Light to Stone Ruination is like comparing pizza to lobster thermidor. Both are delicious but I'm going for lobster every time.

The standard American beer (Bud-Mil-Oors) is a really difficult beer to make. Personally I think these brewers are probably the best in the world at their craft. There is no-way I would ever try and replicate their beer. I prefer highly hopped American Pale Ales, or Belgian Ales, but an ice cold beer on a hot day .... you can't beat an American standard.

Most of us prefer more taste in our beers, but we need to acknowledge that Bud, Miller and Coors do make a quality product that appeals to a large majority of the American (and International) public.

Never had a problem with that myself. I enjoy a good beer and tend toward the snobbery end of the scale when picking out beer for myself but I also enjoy a silver bullet or bud light when hanging out with friends. The more people I convert to good beer though the fewer times the "silver bullet or bud light when hanging out with friends" thing happens, lol.

The only kind of fizzy piss water that I can somewhat tolerate drinking is Bud Light Wheat. I truly love delicious craft beer and would go out of my way to drink it...but still don't know if that classifies me as a beer snob:confused:

I will never acknowledge bud as anything above awful.

Ok that's not fair, just personal preference. They're ridiculously profitable and popularity is an understatement. I'm always open to trying new styles but Budweiser is a very consistent product. When it comes to light lagers, they are the best. People hate bud because they're big. Anyone willing to break from the mold will quickly find that there are a plethora of great beers, but if you're a die hard light lager guy, bud is a safe bet.

For the record, I don't drink bud, but they strive for the same goal I do.

Consistency.

My buddy only drinks Chimay and Coors Light...go figure.

Drink what you want. I love DFH's Pangea, but I also grab a sixer of Becks every once in a while.

I always liked BeerAdvocate's take on this. They prefer "Beer Geek" to "Beer Snob." Geeks are people who are enthusiasic about a subject and know way WAY more than the average person about that subject and love to talk about it and educate others. Snobs are insufferable blankety-blanks who look down on everyone who knows less than they do or have different opinions, at least according to BeerAdvocate. Anyway, Beer Geek seems to describe me pretty well.

JonM said:
Snobs are insufferable blankety-blanks who look down on everyone who knows less than they do or have different opinions, at least according to BeerAdvocate.
+1
I was going to say that you aren't a snob until you lecture the person serving the BMC on the error of their ways or run down (i did not say "disagree with") others in forum threads for not liking what you like or bowing to your superior brew-I-tude. Having knowledge and preferring different flavors does not make one a snob, in my book at least.

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

Though I am not a big fan of Coors, Blue, Ex, Canadian et al, and really like my own really hoppy pale ales, I must admit that when I am a guest in someone's home and they offer me one of these beers it can actually be a pleasant experience.

B

EDIT: BeerGOggles - where is BMFK? The reason I ask is that our family (Irvine, Mann, Firth) originally came from the Flatlands area a couple of generations ago.

Though I am not a big fan of Coors, Blue, Ex, Canadian et al, and really like my own really hoppy pale ales, I must admit that when I am a guest in someone's home and they offer me one of these beers it can actually be a pleasant experience.

B

EDIT: BeerGOggles - where is BMFK? The reason I ask is that our family (Irvine, Mann, Firth) originally came from the Flatlands area a couple of generations ago.

Totally agree I would never scoff at a free beer. I hate it when I give someone a homebrew and they ask if there is a BMC light but I would never take any offense or lecture them. I know it took me a while to acquire the taste buds for good beer. I remember my first IPA I nearly spit it out and thought "why would anyone pay a premium for this awful taste?" Now it is almost exclusive in my home.

I am starting to bring the old man around he is a BMC light guy and is starting to see the light.

True snobbery is only evident in the following scenario:

me, "What do you have on tap?"

waitress, "Miller lite, bud lite, coors lite and miller ultra"

me, "......Unsweetened tea please."

If you think this is bad, I wouldn't recommend trying to take the BJCP exam. After studying since March and taking it last weekend, I haven't brewed a beer I've been COMPLETELY happy with. I always find something I could change! However, it has upped my appreciation for a lot of commercial beers.

That being said, there ain't nothin' wrong with a little Keystone Light when I'm out drinking with my college friends. :)

As much as I love a good micro/craft/homebrew, there's a time and a place for light American lagers. Many a night have I bought a bunch of old Milwaukee to drink while watching hockey with my buddies. Totally depends on the situation

As much as I love a good micro/craft/homebrew, there's a time and a place for light American lagers. Many a night have I bought a bunch of old Milwaukee to drink while watching hockey with my buddies. Totally depends on the situation

you have to admit it takes about three of them to get used to it though?:D

Dito here. We are not against an old milwaukee when finances are low,or the summer ale isn'y ready yet. Or after yard work with the bbq pit after that's done at the table in the shade. We do,however,look forward to our own ales when they're ready. Our 2 current batches of ale won't peak till Christmas eve. So it's BMC's till then,& that's ok.
But I have to admit I've noticed that we can drink about double the amount of the light stuff. Just the other night,we killed a 12 pack of old milwaukee light watching videos. Maybe 6 of ours does the same job.

My beer fridge has the top shelf reserved for BMC light beers et. al. The second shelf is MINE!!!! That's where the good stuff lives!! Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, not sure which yet, swmbo has started commenting on how much better the home brew is when compared to BMC beers.

cheezydemon3 said:
True snobbery is only evident in the following scenario:

me, "What do you have on tap?"

waitress, "Miller lite, bud lite, coors lite and miller ultra"

me, "......Unsweetened tea please."

So I am an ass for not liking what they serve and order something else? You want a bud drink a bud but for me I don't like the taste. Why pay 3 or 4 bucks at a bar for a beer if it isn't what I want?

I fall into the group of folks who won't touch anything BMC. Why give my money to a large corporation when I can support craftsmen? I also don't enjoy the taste and can find a more suitable "refreshing" alternative on a hot day. Heck, if nothing else, I can drink a glass of water then have a beer.

i don't have a bone to pick with any of the huge american breweries, but mass appeal does not equal superior quality. making beer at an industrial level is geared more toward making profits not making beer with flavor. if you look at their advertising it is mostly about cold filtering or some other cold related angle, freshness dates, or some lifestyle related imagery.
if a russian river had the distribution that budweiser has i'm not sure they would be as successful with joe sixpack who would look, askance, at a $6 bottle of pliny or an $18 sixer. it costs big money to put big flavor into a beer.

I always liked BeerAdvocate's take on this. They prefer "Beer Geek" to "Beer Snob." Geeks are people who are enthusiasic about a subject and know way WAY more than the average person about that subject and love to talk about it and educate others. Snobs are insufferable blankety-blanks who look down on everyone who knows less than they do or have different opinions, at least according to BeerAdvocate. Anyway, Beer Geek seems to describe me pretty well.

Funny, because beeradvocate is the favorite stomping grounds for beer snobs...

Don't talk **** about BMC. BMC excels at making light american lagers. Coors light does not have an offending flavor, and if you say it does I think you're full of ****. I'm somewhat of a beer snob, but I actually have some knowledge and brewing experience, unlike the legions of people on beeradvocate.

rexbanner said:
Funny, because beeradvocate is the favorite stomping grounds for beer snobs...

Don't talk **** about BMC. BMC excels at making light american lagers. Coors light does not have an offending flavor, and if you say it does I think you're full of ****. I'm somewhat of a beer snob, but I actually have some knowledge and brewing experience, unlike the legions of people on beeradvocate.

I actually thought Coors Light tasted horrible even in my less discerning days.

I would consider my self somewhat of a beer geek after trying around a thousand beers within the last year or so.Going to every brewpub,every store to find something new.
Always curious about something i never tried,and i would have to say ive brewed nothing that has been on the shelves either.
I find the astray coors light description a little funny as well because ive read someone before describing an arragonat bastard the same way.
Personally i prefeer ratebeer,and i also have noticed the hig abv, high hopped beers rated all high. I just think its all raising the bar,ive tried some pretty awfull 9+ %ers and some amazing ones. But in generall it seems they do rate them higher. Its just peoples opinions, ive seen a lot of terrible descriptions as well.

I will never acknowledge bud as anything above awful.

Did you know that they don't advertise the flavor of bud light? They advertise the drink-ability. The stuff is certainly drinkable. It's closer to water than it is to beer.

I drink beer and my tastes are subjective. Am I a beer snob yet?

Meh.

Thank you! Well said. I favor very heavy, dark, flavorful beers. Naturally, I shy away from many lagers and IPA etc, even some that would be considered by 'snobs' as a good beer. It makes quite a bit of sense why I don't like the mass marketed beers.

That said, I'll drink a Killian or a Pabst (especially the ones they sell in SC, my they're a lot better) most any day.

There is a time and place for all beer. When I am going to be doing heavy drinking, BL/ML/CL is fine. When I want to kick back and relax I will go upscale.

One thing I have noticed is that after brewing and drinking higher ABV beers I can really pound CL/BL/ML like the water they taste like. :D

I don't think it's snobbery to want a sweet tea over a miller light...It's just that given THAT choice, I prefer the flavor of tea. Tea is delicious.

My wife (who does not brew) has now made the seventh level of beer snobbery. Asked me to pick up some more of that Stone Ruination last weekend. Ha I didnt tell her it was $18 a sixer.

I never liked beer. I only made my first batch when a co-worker let me borrow his kit. Just like Gunner65 when that hops hit the boil for the first time it was like nothing I smelled before. Now I can appreciated the effort that goes into my beer and the taste is remarkable. I just had a Gulden Draak Barley wine at the Burger Bar in Vegas over the week end and it was pretty amazing.

$18 a sixer!?!

Glad I don't live Kentucky...

Never did like the American light lagers. After mowing or car washing I like an American regional: Yuengling, etc. I used to like Rolling Rock before it was assimilated by the Borg.

It's just so strange to me. I used to like ALL of the light American lagers,,not love but like,now after drinking home brew for a few months the light lagers taste like crap to me,they all have this burnt tea or ashtray taste to them (and no cigarette buts in them lol) I guess it is the same for someone who drinks nothing but light larger then goes to try a heavy ale for the first time..?

Back