Spent Grain - Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started making this bread I was adding way too much flour and producing a really dense bread and wouldn't fully cook without the outside starting to get a burnt hardness. I like to make this bread more fluffy and light so I add less dough and let it rise from a wetter, sticky dough. I couldn't do that by hand without making a huge mess but I am able to do it easily in a kitchenaid with a dough hook.

I've also found primarily pilsner based beer produces somewhat boring bread if you use regular bread flour alone. I've found substituting 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour for 1/2 cup bread flour adds a lot of flavor.

I preheat it in the oven at 500F for 20 minutes. Turn the oven down to 450 and put the dough in the dutch oven. Then cook it for 20 minutes. Remove the lid then 20 - 30 more minutes until the crust is the right color.

This is the method Bittman mentions in the original no-knead bread recipe. It works with a pizza stone as well, especially if you have a convection oven.

It works well for a dense crunchy crust, but it can be too much for loaves of sandwich bread. I scale the preheat and baking temps based on what type of bread I am making, but I use this technique all the time.

Here's some pictures of my second attempt. The round one is a cheddar jalapeno bread, and the other is plain. Beautiful veins of cheddar!

ForumRunner_20110813_173331.jpg

ForumRunner_20110813_173345.jpg

Hey! Great thread here. Inspired me to try my own take on baking with spent grains. I used spent grains from my recent attempt at cloning Deschutes Mirror Pond.

Here are my results:

DSCN2464.jpg

DSCN2467.jpg

And here's my take on a recipe:

3 cups spent grain
5 cups bread flour (approximate)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup homemade Irish Stout
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pkg dry baking yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm (112*F) water
Pinch of cornmeal

Combine grain, 2 cups of bread flour, salt, and brown sugar in large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

Dissolve 1/2 tsp white sugar in 112*F water in a small bowl. Sprinkle dry yeast on water surface. Cover bowl w. foil and hold between 110* and 115* for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, add beer and oil to grain/flour mixture and stir together. Slowly add 2 more cups of bread flour and combine (I just used my hands, coated w. flour to avoid sticking).

After 10 mins soaking, gently stir yeast mixture, replace cover and rest for 5 mins or until yeast cream is nice and thick.

Add yeast mixture to dough and combine by hand. Slowly add remaining bread flour until dough is stiff and only a bit sticky.

Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Place dough in large bowl coated w. nonstick spray, cover w. damp towel, and leave for 2-3 hours (or until roughly double in size) in a warm spot to rise.

After initial rise, punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface. Shape into a round loaf, pulling the top of the loaf tight. Grease (or spray) a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal to prevent sticking. Place loaf on prepared sheet, cover w. damp towel, and allow to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until roughly doubled.

Preheat oven to 425*F. Bake loaf on center rack for 20 minutes. Using a spray bottle with clean water, mist the entire loaf (6-8 squirts) every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes. Then reduce oven temp to 375* and bake another 25 mins, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped with a knuckle. Cool, cut, and munch. :)

Yum! This thread got me going, so thanks for the inspiration.

:mug:

I did the recipe last time and it is freaking killer! the loaf was huge and we took some to a dinner with some friends and everyone went crazy for it. The only issue I ran into was the spent grains were from an oatmeal stout, so there were some dark and bitter grains in the bread. I am going to make another loaf today with some grains from an IPA. I can't say enough good things about this bread. Thanks Jay!:fro:

I just baked Flack's recipe yesterday and it turned out great. I used grains from a PM hefeweizen and followed the amounts to a T. I've been making bread for a couple years and this is easily the best I've made. Much lighter and more moist than I expected. Absolutely wonderful.

I differed a little in my method as I made a starter with the water, sugar, & yeast and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. Then, using my kitchenaid mixer, I mixed in the grains and 1 cup of flour for 2 minutes on "2". Began adding the remaining flour with the mixer running over another 2 minutes then let it knead for another 2 minutes. The first rise took maybe an hour as did the second rise. I used a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal and set on top of a baking stone. I also put a pan on the rack underneath and threw a few ice cubes in it when I put the bread in. Checked the temp after the 30 mins were up and it was right around 200deg. Perfect.

I like the idea of using grain from a wheat or rye beer. The biggest complaint I have about my spent grain breads is too much husk!

That's a beauty! I keep tweaking the bread machune recipe hoping to stop the top from cratering...no luck. I think moisture content is too random.

I don't weigh my flour/ingrediants. I find that i always have to adjust the amount of flour so I just go by feel.
Made these today.
PhotoDec21112301AM.jpg

PhotoDec21110055AM.jpg

Downside to fresh baked bread is, it doesn't last very long......

Photo%20Apr%2030%2C%206%2019%2044%20AM.jpg

Sprouted grain bread. Mostly whole grain/ground flour. Good buy to buying six dollar loafs of bread.

Thanks to the OP and sfbayjay!

I made sfbayjay's recipe last night with terrific results! I substituted my Irish Red for the stout and water (all beer, no water) and used the dried spent grains from my red. Rather than all-purpose flour, I chose to go with bread flour. The recipe resulted in two *very* tasty 12" round loaves.

This recipe is a keeper!

(sorry to resurrect an old thread, but the recipe is well worth reminding everyone!)

Hey! Great thread here. Inspired me to try my own take on baking with spent grains. I used spent grains from my recent attempt at cloning Deschutes Mirror Pond.

<snip>

And here's my take on a recipe:

3 cups spent grain
5 cups bread flour (approximate)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup homemade Irish Stout
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pkg dry baking yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm (112*F) water
Pinch of cornmeal

Combine grain, 2 cups of bread flour, salt, and brown sugar in large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

Dissolve 1/2 tsp white sugar in 112*F water in a small bowl. Sprinkle dry yeast on water surface. Cover bowl w. foil and hold between 110* and 115* for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, add beer and oil to grain/flour mixture and stir together. Slowly add 2 more cups of bread flour and combine (I just used my hands, coated w. flour to avoid sticking).

After 10 mins soaking, gently stir yeast mixture, replace cover and rest for 5 mins or until yeast cream is nice and thick.

Add yeast mixture to dough and combine by hand. Slowly add remaining bread flour until dough is stiff and only a bit sticky.

Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Place dough in large bowl coated w. nonstick spray, cover w. damp towel, and leave for 2-3 hours (or until roughly double in size) in a warm spot to rise.

After initial rise, punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface. Shape into a round loaf, pulling the top of the loaf tight. Grease (or spray) a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal to prevent sticking. Place loaf on prepared sheet, cover w. damp towel, and allow to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until roughly doubled.

Preheat oven to 425*F. Bake loaf on center rack for 20 minutes. Using a spray bottle with clean water, mist the entire loaf (6-8 squirts) every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes. Then reduce oven temp to 375* and bake another 25 mins, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped with a knuckle. Cool, cut, and munch. :)

Yum! This thread got me going, so thanks for the inspiration.

:mug:

I need to start doing this and making more dog treats. The pile in my backyard is starting to smell like a dead moose.

Do you guys try to remove the husks? I have dried the grains in the oven and then ground them to flour but that's a pain.

Not a fan of chewing in husks..

Do you guys try to remove the husks? I have dried the grains in the oven and then ground them to flour but that's a pain.

Not a fan of chewing in husks..

I do not remove the husks, but, similar to you, I will roll the dried grains a bit. I've also used wet grains (frozen and thawed rather than dried) a few times and have found that the husks don't seem to be quite so offensive.

I have used the spent grain with a bit of extra wort to build up my sourdough starter before baking with great results. I pull the warm grain right out of my MLT and add my SD. Yum!

I plan on brewing next week for a brew to bring to the outlaws for Christmas, and would love to make some bread from the spent grain. Will freezing the grain then thawing it to make the bread effect anything?

BulldawgBrew said:
I plan on brewing next week for a brew to bring to the outlaws for Christmas, and would love to make some bread from the spent grain. Will freezing the grain then thawing it to make the bread effect anything?

I've done this with good results.

BulldawgBrew said:

I've also had good results drying and grinding the spent grain to remove some of the huskiness that gets caught in your teeth. I used my corona style mill instead of the recommended coffee grinder and it worked well.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/

This is from my first try at bread from spent grains, it was a nice sweet all grain type of bread, everyone liked it, not too shabby for a product (spent grains) that was going to get tossed.
The one loaf was slightly malformed...lol..it didn't effect the taste.

bread (1).jpg

bread.jpg

This is even good the next day in the toaster, brings out the grain!
Everyone loves it...Looks like I just justified brewing the next batch of beer...."I wanted to make sure I had the grains to make bread"....muhahahahahhahaha!

Used the spent grain from my caramel ale to make a bread on turkey day. Let most of it with my mother, and sister (at their place). Mom's been using it for sandwiches and for b-fast since then. She's finally run out and wants more. :D I have more of the grain reserved, so making another batch for xmas isn't an issue. Will do a couple of tweaks to the recipe though.

Side benefit, from mom, is that it will keep you regular. lol

I found that if you let it raise and punch it down, and let it raise again, the bread comes out really nice, not so dense that it is like a brick.

Just made bread from OP's recipe using chocolate and caramel grains from Munich lager brew. Worked like a charm. Wife was happy too. :) thanks for this great idea!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390182631.674582.jpg
Here are some spent grain wheat rolls I made today.
Been making spent grain bread / rolls for some time.
I use spent grains from my dark beers. I freeze it and thaw before using.
My recipe: 1 1/2lb. loaf
2 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup spent grains
1/3 cup gluten flour
1 1/2 Tbs dry milk
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup room temp dark beer ( Scottish ale, Porter or Stout)
3 Tbs honey
1 1/2 Tbs vegetable oil ( I use grape seed oil)
4 tsp active dry yeast

Put all ingredients in order in bread machine set on bread cycle.
The only thing to watch is the grains still have moisture so you may need to add a little extra flour during kneading.
After the dough is done, remove from bread machine.
Put dough on floured surface, punch down and form into round ball for bread.
For rolls I make a long roll and cut small sections and form into small balls.
Place on pan that has corn meal sprinkled on it. Cover with towel and let rise for 1/2 hr.
Preheat oven @350F
Place bread/ roll on middle oven rack.
Bake bread for 25-30 mins. Rolls 15-20 mins.

I will be attempting my first AG BIAB brew next week. I've been reading all these food threads on a empty stomach and I would like to do something about it. lol

Is there particular grain bills than can only be used to make bread, pretzels etc? I have one that will be using flaked rice and not sure how that will affect anything. It does not sound good, but I thought I would ask.

5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 61.1 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 27.8 %
1 lbs Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.1 %

To the compost pile, or to the oven?

Back