Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. No problem. 4 gallons:

3.6 lb Amber dry extract
1.2 lb Wheat dry extract
0.6 lb Crystal 60L
0.6 lb Chocolate malt
0.4 lb Roasted Barley
0.53 oz Magnum (13.4%) 60 minutes
0.4 lb Lactose

You could just round some of these numbers if you want. For example a half pound of lactose instead of 0.4 would be completely fine. Using a full 4 lb of Amber extract would be fine, etc. I would definitely use 3oz instead of 4oz of priming sugar though. This style of beer definitely works better with a moderate level of carbonation. Happy brewing.

Edit: Damn you guys are fast. Looks like somebody already beat me to it.

After reading through this thread again yesterday, I couldn't help but pop the lid on my batch. My OG was 1.066 and today I measured 1.026. Thats only 59% attenuation, a tad low for the 1028 strain. But it has also only been in the primary for 3 weeks. I wasn't planning on bottling anyway, so I swirled it up a bit and will leave it until next Sunday. Hopefully it comes down a few more points. I did however take a taste. It was exactly how the OP described the flavor... Boy I can barely stand waiting another 5 weeks or so to have a cold and carbonated one. One other thing I decided to do is to try one of Revvy's suggested techniques and save at least a few bottles for at least 6 months and try one every month to see how the flavor develops.

Hermit, BigB, and NCBeernut - my thanks.

It may take me a month or so before I brew this but I'll definitely report back.

So, I'm thinking I'll need a 4 gallon batch to avoid too much blow-off.

You could always set up a blowoff hose from the carboy into the ale pale, instead of using an air lock in a bung.

For what it's worth ... I didn't have much krausen with this stout at all and did not need a blowoff tube, granted I was using a 6G carboy, but the level of the wort did not really rise at all .... your mileage may vary :)

You could always set up a blowoff hose from the carboy into the ale pale, instead of using an air lock in a bung.

For what it's worth ... I didn't have much krausen with this stout at all and did not need a blowoff tube, granted I was using a 6G carboy, but the level of the wort did not really rise at all .... your mileage may vary :)

What yeast did you use?

Come to think of it, my fermentation was also pretty tame compared to other beers I've done. I used the 1028 London Ale yeast.

If I could do 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy with a blow off tube without too much beer loss, that would net me more beers for the same effort.

If the experienced consensus is mild fermentation, it might work.

If I could do 5 gallons in a 5 gallon carboy with a blow off tube without too much beer loss, that would net me more beers for the same effort.

If the experienced consensus is mild fermentation, it might work.

Go for it .... fermentation was mild with 1084 at a near constant 63 degrees.

I just bought the ingredients and look forward to trying this for my third ever brew. Quick question, they didn't have the caramel/crystal malt, so I got medium crystal malt and cara-rye malt, and was considering adding them 1/2 and 1/2. Is this a bad idea? If so, I will look elsewhere for the carmel/crystal malt. Thanks

I just bought the ingredients and look forward to trying this for my third ever brew. Quick question, they didn't have the caramel/crystal malt, so I got medium crystal malt and cara-rye malt, and was considering adding them 1/2 and 1/2. Is this a bad idea? If so, I will look elsewhere for the carmel/crystal malt. Thanks

I'm no expert by far, but as I recall, the medium crystal is the same thing as the caramel, just its from the UK. As far as the cara rye, I would think that would throw off the flavor due to the distinct rye flavor.

Thanks. I actually ordered a caramel crystal b/c I got concerned, so I will just save the other two for batch four if possible. Thanks for your help. P

I just ordered the ingredients for the 4 gallon batch!

I have some washed Wyeast American Ale 1056 so I'm going to create a starter with that.

I have a question regarding the DME addition. If I'm doing a full volume boil, should I add at the beginning of the 60 min boil or do you guys do a late extract addition at 10 mins or so?

Oh, one more question, just steep the grains or should I also sparge?

I just ordered the ingredients for the 4 gallon batch!

I have some washed Wyeast American Ale 1056 so I'm going to create a starter with that.

I have a question regarding the DME addition. If I'm doing a full volume boil, should I add at the beginning of the 60 min boil or do you guys do a late extract addition at 10 mins or so?

Oh, one more question, just steep the grains or should I also sparge?

Add the DME at the beginning...that is what I did and the calculations are assuming a full 60 minutes for the DME. The two purposes of late additions are to decrease wort darkening and increasing hop utilization...you do not want either of these things for this beer, given it is supposed to be a dark beer with low bitterness. Just steep the grains. No need to sparge.

I am gearing up for the extract version. How long and at what temperature should I steep the grains?

Thanks again. The pics of the final product have got me very excited. Hoping to prew Saturday, ferment 1 month, bottle and drink on St. Patty's Day. Will let y'all know how it turns out

Thanks for the recipe NCBeernut! I have only brewed a stout once before and it turned out to be too dry similar to Guiness (which I am not fond of) so I have not made another since. I enjoyed Duck-Rabbit milk stout when I sampled it so I am looking forword to trying this!!

Thanks for the recipe NCBeernut! I have only brewed a stout once before and it turned out to be too dry similar to Guiness (which I am not fond of) so I have not made another since. I enjoyed Duck-Rabbit milk stout when I sampled it so I am looking forword to trying this!!

This recipe is a little light on the lactose compared to several of the more well known commercial milk stouts like Duck Rabbit. To make it taste more like one of those, you can increase the lactose to 1 lb.

!!WARNING !!

If you brew this stout be prepared to drink it!!! Keg is tapped out after only 2 weeks, and 80% of that was drank by me !!

Went to AB yesterday, brewing this again this afternoon !!

!!WARNING !!

If you brew this stout be prepared to drink it!!! Keg is tapped out after only 2 weeks, and 80% of that was drank by me !!

Went to AB yesterday, brewing this again this afternoon !!

:drunk:

I just ran out too. I need to brew more. Just took my first shot at a dry stout, so I have that in the mean time.

Just brewed this 3 days ago (with slight recipe changes for convenience). Possibly the best smell of my entire life, and it diffused through the whole apartment, which was faaaantastic. Thanks for the recipe!

Hope you do better than I did. I brewed this two nights ago.

I wound up brewing my sixth and seventh brew on one night. One was Brandon O's Graff and the other was NCBeernut's Deception Stout scaled down to 4 gallon batches.

I threw too much wheat DME and maltose into the brew kettle as I was aerating and pitching the Graff at the same time. :tank: The Graff turned out alright but the Deception Stout turned into an imperial milk stout.

To top it off, the stout blew off the stopper today and spewed it's guts out. I wound up pitching another 1 liter starter today, 48 hours into the fermentation, to account for the super high OG (1.096).

One liter of starter for such a high gravity beer would have been severely underpitched.

Anyway, NCBeerNut was very helpful in recovering from my mistakes. I believe the stout will turn out into a drinkable product despite all my efforts to muck it up.

I will name it Sweet Deception Imperial Stout. :rockin: :D

The sample smelled and tasted pretty damn good, albeit a little sweet.

I have great confidence in NCBeerNut's recipe.

I have a long wait (over a two months) before it'll be properly bottle aged and ready for consumption. I will report back on how it comes out.

I finally cracked one of these open... Simply Awesome. By far one of the finest beers I have ever had. Well Done NC, Well Done.

The batch I made is drinking extremely well right now. NCBeerNut and I tried it a few weeks ago and it was a bit fruitier than his, probably due to slightly higher fermentation temps on mine. It is excellent though, and I'm looking forward to putting it on nitro this week for something a little different. We'll then compare the nitro version to the last remaining of his original bottles in a back to back comparison just for fun.

Wow, this beer is great on nitro. It's already smooth and creamy, add the nitro and it becomes even smoother and creamier. I think it's a bit overcarbed right now for a stout faucet because it's making a too-large head, but it doesn't diminish the flavor. Definitely put this one on nitro if you like that kind of thing!

Mine will have been in the primary for three weeks on Saturday, and I just drank my graduated cylider dry after taking a gravity reading. It is my third brew and shaping up to be the best so far. Can't wait til it bottled, carbed, and ready.

Beernoob here.

I'd like to make this my second batch.

I'd also like to have any idea what to do with these recipes, as I've only used the Mr. Beer kit. Feel like I'm confident enough to switch to extract/grains but I don't know where to start.

does anyone have either A) a step by step for this brew or B) something that will tell me when to add what ingredients? Which ones to boil, and for how long, and which ones to just add to the wort, etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this, from all the replies it seems like this is a tasty stout. Ought to blow Young's double chocolate out of the water.

Hi All,

After reading all the comments on how great this beer is, I cant wait to try it out. I have a quick question. How would I convert how many pounds of LME I would need? My LHBS doesn't sell DME.

actually after some reach I found out I just multiple the DME by .89 to get how much LME I would need.

wrong! you have to use more lme than dme, and your equation would give you the opposite. try multiplying the dme amount by 1.25 to get the right number.

0.6 lb. dme = 0.75 lb lme = 1 lb grain

Deception Cream Stout on nitro
DSC_3480NEF.jpg

Beernoob here.

I'd like to make this my second batch.

I'd also like to have any idea what to do with these recipes, as I've only used the Mr. Beer kit. Feel like I'm confident enough to switch to extract/grains but I don't know where to start.

does anyone have either A) a step by step for this brew or B) something that will tell me when to add what ingredients? Which ones to boil, and for how long, and which ones to just add to the wort, etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies to this, from all the replies it seems like this is a tasty stout. Ought to blow Young's double chocolate out of the water.

Although this is a great beer, if you don't have any extra equipment I would hold off till you get your pipeline going because this one needs to sit a while. With that being said, here you go:

Terms: Crushed grains= Carmel/Crystal malt, Chocolate Malt, Roasted Barley.
Hops= German Magnum, but you can use any magnum (i.e. Yakima)
Yeast= OP recommends the Wyeast 1450 but you may have difficulty finding it. I used the 1028 London Ale and am very happy with it. 1056 is also a possibility per the OP.

Before anything It is recommended that you make a starter a day ahead of time. Follow these instructions here:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Starter

1. Bring approximately 2 gallons of water to approximately 165-168 degrees in your brew pot.

2. While that is heating up add all of your crushed grains (have your LHBS crush them when you buy it) to a muslin bag or nylon straining bag (I like these because they are reusable). Don't forget to tie off the top of the muslin bag.

3. When you have reached that temperature, add the bag of grains to the water. The temperature should drop 10-15 degrees, this is ok. Try to maintain a temperature of approximately 150-155. To do this you can occasionally turn the heat back on.
3a. While it is steeping, bob the bag up and down a few times like a tea bag.
3b. Steep for 30 minutes total

4. While your grains are steeping, bring another pot of approximately 1 gallon of water to 170 degrees.

5. After the 30 minutes of steeping, take the grain bag out and let drain over the pot for as long as you can stand it or until it is just dripping. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BAG.

6. After draining, place the bag of grains in the pot of 1 gallon/170 degree water and steep (really this is more like sparging) for 10 minutes.

7. After the 10 minutes, drain as above then discard the grains.

8. Add the 1 gallon of sparge water to your 1st pot (brew pot) that had the 2 gallons of water originally.

9. Bring your brew pot to a boil.

10. When it reaches a boil, turn off the heat and add the Wheat Dry Extract and the Amber Dry Extract. Be sure the extract dissolves completely and is not stuck to the bottom.

11. Bring your brew pot back to a boil. Once boiling, add all of the hops. Be careful because the mixture will foam for a few minutes when you add the hops. You don't want a boil over- SWMBO will be pissed, besides you could get hurt.
11a. Edit: You could add the hops to a small muslin bag first and then add that to the pot.

12. Boil for 50 minutes.

13. Then add the Lactose and the Whilfloc tablet.

14. Continue boiling for another 5 minutes and add the yeast nutrient.

15. Boil for the last five minutes.

16. Cool the wort to 70 degrees then strain out the hops as you pour the mixture into your fermenter.
16a. EDIT: Add enough water to fill the fermenter to 5 gallons., MIX REALLY WELL FOR 2 MInutes.
16b. EDIT: Take a hydrometer reading, this is your OG ______________________

17. Add the yeast/starter to the fermenter

18. Put on the lid/air lock and let ferment for 28-30 DAYS.
18b. EDIT: After fermenting, take a hydrometer reading, this is your FG_______________________

19. Bottle/Keg as usual and let sit for another 28-30 Days.

20. Refrigerate and consume as usual.

Hmmm. after reading through this entire thread, I think I am ready to try out my first stout :mug:

question though, would s-05 be an acceptable yeast to use? I notice that most of the yeast people have been using are mostly clean american strains, so I figured 05 would work nicely. But I also dont want to screw up what seems to be an already perfected recipe. Any thoughts?

question though, would s-05 be an acceptable yeast to use? I notice that most of the yeast people have been using are mostly clean american strains, so I figured 05 would work nicely. But I also dont want to screw up what seems to be an already perfected recipe. Any thoughts?

I don't use dry yeasts myself, but I know that s-05 is really just a dry version of 1056. So it should be fine. I know some people say that s-05 isn't as clean as the 1056, but in a beer this heavy and strong in the flavors as it is, I sincerely doubt anyone would be able to even perceive the difference.

Back