Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is a Belgian I made:
you can see the thread about it here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/infection-picture-attached-72428/
Many said it isn't an infection.
after racking, a white gelatinous film developed in the neck of all bottles. So I believe it was some wild yeast.
the final beer tasted great - it had a lot of spices and one of the funkier Belgian yeast strains, so its hard to say if the flavor was altered.
IMG_0879.JPG

this is a Belgian I made:
you can see the thread about it here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/infection-picture-attached-72428/
Many said it isn't an infection.
after racking, a white gelatinous film developed in the neck of all bottles. So I believe it was some wild yeast.
the final beer tasted great - it had a lot of spices and one of the funkier Belgian yeast strains, so its hard to say if the flavor was altered.
IMG_0879.JPG

Thats just like what this junk is... it tastes like an IPA. I could not taste any off flavors. I think I will keg and carb it and see what happens...

100_1306.jpg

yikes! scary thread. i haven't lifted the lid on my first brew yet...maybe i should take a peak...

I've got one for you.. small infection on top (mold bubble that doesn't go away.. hmmm..) and the best part... Bugs in my airlock... (been on primary for a month)

I pulled a tiny sample from under the mold and it was clear and tasted fine. Not sure what the deal with the bugs is though! yuck.. here are the photos

This is a pic of the airlock prior to me cleaning it (and putting my carboy in the fridge to crash cool over night) A bit blurry but all those things on the bottom are dead bugs in the airlock juice (vodka + water) I assume it turned orange/brown from the krausen.
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad316/seigex/P7160110.jpg

This is what was in the airlock after I dumped it into a bowl.
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad316/seigex/P7160113.jpg

This is a pick inside of the carboy .. the bubble on the right is the mold bubble.. and you can see a slick on top of the beer and verious floaties also.
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad316/seigex/P7160112.jpg

3745763065_a4560fd631_m.jpg

On a hefe which I racked to secondary for time sake. I will try and bottle anyway, but the puffy cloud sticking up in the middle (guess I'm not too camera savvy) made me gasp this mornin.

Two weeks ago I brewed a Dusseldorf alt, and I put it in a semi-open plastic container in the freezer portion of a refrigerator. Fermented at 60 degrees F. When I bottled it on Friday, 8.7.09, it had a strange taste and I couldn't identify it. It didn't taste like acetic/lactic acid, but it didn't taste malty. On Sunday, I looked at the bottles and they seemed to have a chalky substance and bubbles on top of the fill line. When I opened one, it foamed really badly. Ally my best judgment tells me it is infected, but I've never brewed an alt before. Should I lager the beer and see what happens? Or does it sound like I'm screwed?

Well, here's my latest batch of oktoberfest. This is a live and learn type situation. It was my first lager. I got rushed into make this beer and didn't have time to make a starter. I shouldn't have brewed, but I did. It took over 48 hours for the yeast to kick in, so I think I managed to pick up an infection during that time. I believe this is acetobacter, but I'm not throwing it out just in case.

infection.jpg

It's not a good picture because the krausen never fell back into the beer, but you can see on the right side that there's a white wax-like substance floating on top.

Does it look like pellicle? It is two weeks after I pitched the "bugs" (Wyeast Lambic Blend)

[deleted]

Well, here's my latest batch of oktoberfest. This is a live and learn type situation. It was my first lager. I got rushed into make this beer and didn't have time to make a starter. I shouldn't have brewed, but I did. It took over 48 hours for the yeast to kick in, so I think I managed to pick up an infection during that time. I believe this is acetobacter, but I'm not throwing it out just in case.

infection.jpg

It's not a good picture because the krausen never fell back into the beer, but you can see on the right side that there's a white wax-like substance floating on top.

I just puked in my mouth a little.

this is my baby. not quite sure what to do. is (was) a raspberry wheat ale that was just moved to secondary to make room. all the fun stuff showed up after just one day.
DSC01404.jpg

DSC01399.jpg

How's it taste? Rack that sucker into a keg and drink it fast!

so, it didn't taste bad at all. pretty damned good in fact. sadly, i'm still a noob and kegging is something i am still working up to. instead i spent the last hour or so bottling this bad boy. let's hope for the best.

so, it didn't taste bad at all. pretty damned good in fact. sadly, i'm still a noob and kegging is something i am still working up to. instead i spent the last hour or so bottling this bad boy. let's hope for the best.

If you bottled this, I would drink it fast. If it was wild yeast that infected your batch, it could keep fermenting and give you lots of little bombs. Store them in a garbage bag just incase. Good luck.

I have the same thing going on with my brown ale. Just curious if you bottled and how it is going? I don't want 50 bottle bombs, but refuse to dump a batch of beer that tastes pretty good.

Should I leave it in the secondary longer, or get it bottled as quick as possible?

Thanks.

Ryan

Here's mine, The brown spots are hops.
3840645959_f3328ac7e6.jpg
3841436986_cac3405a29.jpg

It'll be "Bruin met Perzik Lactaat" (Brown with Peach and Lactobacilus) in a few months.:mug:

So, I just cracked open that infected spiced belgian which I bottled back in March.
Tasted alright when I racked it, but now its actually pretty good.
After a few weeks some of the bottles began to grow a very thin film of infection, then it died off. The flavor has shifted quite a bit compared to my last attempt at the same beer. Honey taste has lessened, beer is sharper and crisper, paler than expected, cloudy, nice head. Overall very good, but not exactly what I was expecting.

Say, I pitched some Orval dregs on this Saison 5 days ago. Could this be a pelicle forming, or just some sacch. kicking back up? I'm new to the whole bug thing. Please tell me it's infected....please...

Thanks
KD

IMG_0341.jpg

I just brewed my first batch of beer and it looks just like this. I had to stare it down for a few minutes before I was confident that it was just bubbles. Glad to hear that others agree :)

This a picture down inside of a better bottle after racking the beer from within. The brew was a Flat Tire clone that I had brewed exactly the same before. This time, the Kraussen stayed on the top--never settled. What you are seeing is the top and what settled to the bottom, as I just syphoned the beer from inbetween. I was hoping it wasn't infected, but the beer tasted really sour, nothing like the original batch. Right now it is sitting in a secondary. I'm not sure what to do with it.

beerinfection.jpg

Ok when I was out with the kids Trick or Treating one of my neighbors that brews asked me to look at his beer. He made a Peach Ale and just washed and cut up the Peaches and dumped them in. I only had my cell so the picture is not good but the one peach chunk that is floating is all white/green and furry. You can see it just to the left of the middle of the carboy. And the walls of the carboy has a white film that he said slowly grew over the past two weeks. My advise was to gently make a hole in the mold/film and then rack the beer into another carboy leaving an inch or two behind. Any other advise or cautions to take since fruit is involved?

photo-51.jpg

This is because he didn't punch down the fruit. Whenever you make beer or wine with lots of fruit, you get a small portion of the fruit that will float above the water. If this is allowed to float above the water for more than a day or two without being pushed back into the liquid to wet it, it will start to mold. It's like leaving a piece of fruit on your kitchen table for a week pre-cut and expecting it to still be good.

I agree with your suggestion. If he gets it out now, it may be fine. He can keep tasting it to see if the flavor gets worse. If it does...I suggest pitching it before bottles start exploding.

Here's what's growing on a small beer (low alcohol) at 12 hours into the primary. Yeast was from a starter built up from small sample of WLP001 CA Ale. I guess you do have to be careful when building up small starters!

Anyone know what this is (besides nasty?)

NastySide.jpg

Yeah, I posted in another forum and got the same response. Might be fine, but I still suspect something amiss. I'll post when I make a final determination.

I'd say that, judging from it's simularity to kefir grains, that it's yeast and lactobacillus living together. I've seen a lot of yeast, but I've never seen it make chunks like that. But kefir does.

I'd say that, judging from it's simularity to kefir grains, that it's yeast and lactobacillus living together. I've seen a lot of yeast, but I've never seen it make chunks like that. But kefir does.

I see yeast clump up like that all the time. It looks normal to me.

Latest posts

Back