taste my beer the day of bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
so i bottled my beer yesterday after 3 weeks in the fermintor. it was a hefe and here is the recipie:

2 lbs fresh wheat steep at 160 F for 20 min
3 lbs wheat DME
2.25 oz orange blossom honey
1.5 hops 1 oz at 60 min boil, 05 oz 20 min remaining
0.75 oz corriander steep 20 min at flameout
1 oz bitter orange peel steep 20 min flamout

boil 60 min 5 gal.
OG - 1.052
FF - 1.010 (does this seem low to anyone?)
primary ferm. 3 weeks

It smelled very nice and i tasted the beer after the hydrometer reading which tasted okay at first then had a very tart bitter almost metallic after taste to it. I used 3 gal spring water and 3 gal distilled water (due to the DME) so i dont think it has to do much with minerals. The question i have is does all beer kinda have this bitter tart aftertaste before conditioning or does my brew just suck? I know i need to wait for sure but i just was wondering if this taste in normal or not? Im sure the yeast bite also has some to do with it and the fermentor was moved about 20 min before i took the sample.

I'm gonna guess it's the bitter orange peel. I bet it'll be fine in a few weeks.

The sample I usually have when bottling is really very different than the final product. It scared the bejesus out of me the first few brews. . .now I just sort of expect it.

I like to have a sample before bottling, even though it tastes awful compared to what's it's gonna taste like in a few weeks, it gives me an idea of the overall taste of the beer, i can sort of "imagine" how it's going to be doing that.

lol sounds good what about final gravity of 1.010 (even after making adjustments with the water i used) this seems very low

I mean, you gotta drink the gravity sample, right?

I always taste it. It's cool to see how the taste of the beer develops over time. The citrus wheat I bottled this afternoon had a little spiciness to it that I'm sure won't be there in three weeks.

Back