Elusive Aroma...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVA

Reaction score
so i'm a total hophead, I can't stop brewing highly hopped beers. been doing my own recipes for quite awhile now, and I'm got a good handle on using hops for bitterness and for flavor. However, I come up short on nailing the aroma. I love the smell of hops, I always inhale directly from the packages for several minutes, I want to replicate this aroma in my beer. Been trying all the "book" techniques, but am not satisfied. So, I'm looking for everyone's best techniques for hop aroma. maybe it's the type of hops, maybe the length of time boiled, maybe how to dry hop, let me know what's been working...

Try adding hops at flame out and steeping for 10 min before chilling or using a hopback.
Dry hopping in the secondary for 10 days prior to bottling might help.

Dry hop with Plugs or FRESH whole hops. Make sure you dont rack to the secondary too soon, either that or wait a few days before adding the hops to the secondary. If your yeast is still fermenting it will scrub all the good aroma away.
Dry hop more than what is recomended. I read that a good amount to dry hop is with 2-7 ounces. Ive done as much as 2...7 seems CRAZY, but one day ill try it (in a really BIG IPA).
Do an ounce at flame out too. Or try the Stone Brewing technique of putting in an ounce or 2 at flame out, then whirlpooling and let it sit for 15 minutes before cooling.

Try dry-hopping with 1-2 oz of Simcoe whole leaf, I too am a hophead and have done this on many occasions. Simcoe does a great job of giving IPA's a good nose.

I like to dry hop right in my keg. Some people say it gives a grassy taste, but I've never had a problem with it.

Back