Diluted/mixed Starsan shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptoid

Reaction score
I planned on filling up a small tote or bucket with mixed Starsan. My question is; if I keep a lid on it and sealed up, how long is it good for? Example: I'm trying to nail down final OG and I may have to check samples every 12-24 hours in order to determine when it's ready for bottling. Could I just mix up the sanitizer and leave it in this covered bucket for those few days; and would it still be safe to use throughout that time?

I keep my 5 gal StarSan mix in a big plastic bin from walmart with a lid. I honestly keep it for about 3-4 months each batch. I don't worry about it being cloudy. I simply check the pH here and there and make sure it's around 3.0

If a batch gets really dirty with particulates then yeah I'll dump it but besides that I'll just keep it for a while.

- ISM NRP

I keep 1 gallon jugs filled with it for months as well, with no issues when re-using. Just keep the O2 and sunlight away from it, and you will increase the shelf life.

Also, you don't want to take a FG reading that frequent. Take one when you believe it is done, and then again when you are ready to bottle/keg. For me that is a reading at 2 and 3 weeks for most beers I brew. Cheers!

According to some stuff I've read the shelf-life of mixed StarSan can vary a lot depending on your local water. If the water is very hard it will shorten the life of the mixed material a lot. The safest thing is to buy a gallon of distilled water and use it to mix your StarSan. Once mixed in distilled water it should last for a very long time.

According to some stuff I've read the shelf-life of mixed StarSan can vary a lot depending on your local water. If the water is very hard it will shorten the life of the mixed material a lot. The safest thing is to buy a gallon of distilled water and use it to mix your StarSan. Once mixed in distilled water it should last for a very long time.

+1

The shelf life of starsan diluted with non DI water is directly proportional to the level of calcium in your municipal water supply. Ca+ reacts with the acid group, and the insoluble particulate is the cloud that's left behind. If your batch is cloudy, but still below 3.0 pH, you've bound all of the free calcium in the water and should be good to keep on sanitizing.

+1

The shelf life of starsan diluted with non DI water is directly proportional to the level of calcium in your municipal water supply. Ca+ reacts with the acid group, and the insoluble particulate is the cloud that's left behind. If your batch is cloudy, but still below 3.0 pH, you've bound all of the free calcium in the water and should be good to keep on sanitizing.

Good to know! I've got hard water so I'll prob get a bunch of bottled water from the store for now.

Good to know! I've got hard water so I'll prob get a bunch of bottled water from the store for now.

Make sure you grab the distilled water and not the "spring water" or some other kind. Distilled water has almost all the minerals removed and won't make your StarSan go south on you prematurely.

Good info! I was just wondering about this the other night. Seems like a waste to mix the sanitizer and water only to dump it later that day. Do you guys worry about leaving the solution in a non-food grade bucket? I have a spare home depot bucket and twist off lid that I can use, but it's not food grade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I bought a 1 gal jug of water and a 1 qt spray bottle. Mix in the jug, fill the sprayer, use whatever one is best for the situation. Carboy and vinator: jug, tubing exterior and bottling bucket interior: sprayer. Dump any salvaged liquid into the jug at the end of the brew day. Have yet to experience it clouding at all, and my waste factor always ensures I have a rotation going. Takes about 6 weeks to go through it all.

I just recently tested my spray bottle. it was still at the pH of 3 after 6 months.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Home Brew mobile app

From what I've read efficacy of StarSan solution is purely based on pH of the solution and not if it's cloudy. My solution clouds up the moment I mix. I continue to use my uncovered 5 gal bucket of StarSan until my next brew day (1-2 months later) when I'll mix a fresh batch.

DY

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I planned on filling up a small tote or bucket with mixed Starsan. My question is; if I keep a lid on it and sealed up, how long is it good for? Example: I'm trying to nail down final OG and I may have to check samples every 12-24 hours in order to determine when it's ready for bottling. Could I just mix up the sanitizer and leave it in this covered bucket for those few days; and would it still be safe to use throughout that time?

A little :off:.....

Assuming that you meant FG not OG:

Wait until you are totally sure that fermentation is done.

Take a reading, wait 24 hours, take another reading. If they are the same it is safe to go to the next step. IMO it is rarely necessary to take more than 2 samples.

It is almost always better to go longer on most steps rather than shorter.

I typically ferment for a minimum of 2 weeks and usually 3 or longer. All signs of fermentation have stopped. I take one gravity reading and if it is within a couple of points I proceed.

Back