Post Blow out Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyvwbus

Reaction score
Brewed an SNPA clone, was fermenting fine for a couple of days then went out of town for the weekend and came back to this....
only the entire airlock was sitting beside the carboy. Anyway I racked to another carboy and since there has been ZERO airlock activity. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet but was wondering my chances of it being infected and did it just blow all the yeast out and should I repitch?? Thanks..

blow out.jpg

Did it still have a krausen when you racked it? If it did then you removed it from the active yeast which is why it would've slowed. What's the gravity at now?

There was no krausen, I didn't take a gravity reading when I racked it over but will tonight. It does have a yeast layer on the bottom of the new carboy so maybe all is good. Was wyeast American 2, with a starter...must have just went nuts after I left town!!! Thanks for the replies

Only way to tell what is happening with fermentation is a hydrometer reading- your airlock can display some symptoms of fermentation, but it isn't a fermentation measuring device.

I would not be surprised to find that you are at final gravity. It isn't unusual for fermentation to finish in a few days. Get your hydrometer out and see where you are- it will probably save you a lot of stress at this point.

And don't panic about infection quite yet. Any wild yeast or bugs would have to get into the carboy, which in the kind of fermentation you experienced is a bit like climbing into a running garden hose. Chances are you will be fine.

Well, I took a gravity reading and it was 1.008, so I suppose it did finish up quickly, tasted the hydro sample and was delish. So it got dry hopped and can't wait for the final product. Guess I got thrown by the nastiness of the open, crusty carboy. Thanks for the replies

Glad to hear everything appears to be ok. Thanks for posting a picture of your explosion. You may want to consider a blow off tube for future fermentations.

I got my lesson when the airlock blew off and left a nice brown shotgun/poo splatter on the ceiling. Blow off tube from then on.

Back