Clarifying Chinese Rice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techbrewie

Reaction score
Hey all. I was super inspired by sonofgrok's post about traditional chinese rice wine. I've got my first half gallon sitting in the jug about ready to drink.

Anyways I used some super clear to filter out all of the white sediment, which I assumed were just unwanted particulates. Anyways It's crystal clear and racked off. I added about 2 cups of frozen blackberries to back sweeten and flavor the wine.

My question is that are you even supposed to clarify and rack off or should I have left it that white milky color. did I remove anything important? Thanks again any input is appreciated.

Well....many who leave it cloudy say it helps with the sweetness. But I do not know that anyone has aged the cloudy version. My batches drop clear without fining, just use double layer fine mesh jelly bag. I switch the collection container when it is time to squeeze the bag, I call the cloudy stuff 'rice beer' and drink it first.

If you like it cloudy go for it. I do wonder how that holds up after pasteurizing?

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about it. I just had the extra laying around and figured why not. About how long after fermentation does it reach peak flavor? thanks for the reply!

tried the next batch without racking off. the flavor is definitely different with a lot thicker mouth feel (to the same consistency of milk.. not sure if that's normal.) I think i prefer it racked off and backsweetened with fruit and some sugar.

tried the next batch without racking off. the flavor is definitely different with a lot thicker mouth feel (to the same consistency of milk.. not sure if that's normal.) I think i prefer it racked off and backsweetened with fruit and some sugar.

I like it cleared, backsweetened with fruit. I left the last batch with solids, but it was tea based.

Back