Boosting ABV in Scottish Ale kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flanman

Reaction score
1.So its pretty obvious Im new to brewing and Im working on my second kit beer from Brewers Best Scottish Ale...I however prefer a higher ABV and oaked flavor in my scottish ales. I have bought some oak chips for the secondary but I dont know how much to use? I hear over oaking can be horrible.
2. THIS KIT SUCKS at only 3.25ABV. Im looking for about 6-8% ABV...I purchased another 3.3 pounds of CBW sparkling amber...but I have not idea how to figure how much I need to acheive this ABV without destroying the flavor too much...

This is the kit and what I have added...
6.6lbs amber LME (twp seperate jugs)
4 oz caramel 60L
4oz smoked
4 oz chocolate
1 oz roasted barley
1 lb amber DME
.5 oz cascade
.5 cascade + 1 oz palisade for aroma

I have not idea how to figure my SG!!! DME and LME conversions make no sense until someone clears it up...PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I was looking forward to brewing this Sat but i dont know if this will happen. Thanks!

3.25% abv is completely appropriate for Scottish ale.

Are you wanting to boost the abv just for the sake of boosting abv?

Add some DME, 1lb will be about .07% if your wanting to dam near double the ABV you'll have to almost double your ingrediants.

Sounds like the making of a screwed up batch you might not like. I recommend doing the batch as is adding a 1 lb of DME will not hurt it I do this with my scottish ales and mine are around 4.2%. But if you want a beer with more ABV then find that kit and buy it but I wouldn't recommend jackin around with that scottish ale too much.

That kit sounds like its a 60 Shilling which is a lighter beer. The different beers are 60 Light, 70 Heavy, 80 Export, Strong Scotch Ale aka Wee Heavy. I'm a fan of the Scotch Ale. I made one last year and it was really nice, though others didnt like it too much because its so different.

Strong Scotch Ale
OG 1.070 - 1.130
FG 1.018 - 1.056
ABV 6.5 - 10%
IBU 17-35
SRM 14-25

First matter of business is get brewtarget its a free brewing app. You can key in all your ingredients and see what your starting gravity is and you'll get an idea of your IBUs.

Plan on brewing Saturday. A couple things that you can do with your recipe.

Add more extract, the Amber contains Crystal 40 or 60 so you're not going to need to add more of that IMO.

Cut your batch size down to 4 gallons vs 5, that will boost your gravity and you can top off with some more extract.

The hops in your kit are really odd for a Scottish ale, these beers are low on the hop flavor and aroma. The hops in your kit are more of an IPA APA style. So you can do the Crystal for bittering at 60 min and I would probably cut back on the Palisade from 1oz to .5 oz or less. I myself think fuggles or goldings would be better but then again all you really need is bittering.

1.So its pretty obvious Im new to brewing and Im working on my second kit beer from Brewers Best Scottish Ale...I however prefer a higher ABV and oaked flavor in my scottish ales. I have bought some oak chips for the secondary but I dont know how much to use? I hear over oaking can be horrible.
2. THIS KIT SUCKS at only 3.25ABV. Im looking for about 6-8% ABV...I purchased another 3.3 pounds of CBW sparkling amber...but I have not idea how to figure how much I need to acheive this ABV without destroying the flavor too much...

This is the kit and what I have added...
6.6lbs amber LME (twp seperate jugs)
4 oz caramel 60L
4oz smoked
4 oz chocolate
1 oz roasted barley
1 lb amber DME
.5 oz cascade
.5 cascade + 1 oz palisade for aroma

I have not idea how to figure my SG!!! DME and LME conversions make no sense until someone clears it up...PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! I was looking forward to brewing this Sat but i dont know if this will happen. Thanks!
Just for fun I took your listed recipe and plugged it into 'Hopville.com'.
Came out with a OG=1.057,FG=1.014,ABV=5.7%, SRM=10,IBU=19.4.
Still a little high OG for even a Scottish 80 export,but not too far off.
Looks like it will be a sweet, lightly hoppy, light colored brew with an alcohol kick. If that's what you want, go for it.
Ferment it on the cool side, let it age
I haven't ever played around with oak chips, but I've seen threads that talk about it. Consensus seems to be add in a secondary, but I don't recall the amounts.

That kit sounds like its a 60 Shilling which is a lighter beer. The different beers are 60 Light, 70 Heavy, 80 Export, Strong Scotch Ale aka Wee Heavy. I'm a fan of the Scotch Ale. I made one last year and it was really nice, though others didnt like it too much because its so different.

Strong Scotch Ale
OG 1.070 - 1.130
FG 1.018 - 1.056
ABV 6.5 - 10%
IBU 17-35
SRM 14-25

First matter of business is get brewtarget its a free brewing app. You can key in all your ingredients and see what your starting gravity is and you'll get an idea of your IBUs.

Plan on brewing Saturday. A couple things that you can do with your recipe.

Add more extract, the Amber contains Crystal 40 or 60 so you're not going to need to add more of that IMO.

Cut your batch size down to 4 gallons vs 5, that will boost your gravity and you can top off with some more extract.

The hops in your kit are really odd for a Scottish ale, these beers are low on the hop flavor and aroma. The hops in your kit are more of an IPA APA style. So you can do the Crystal for bittering at 60 min and I would probably cut back on the Palisade from 1oz to .5 oz or less. I myself think fuggles or goldings would be better but then again all you really need is bittering.

I got the brewtarger software...WHAT A LIFESAVER!!! so I fooled with the recipe for about a day and part of a night and I think I got the problems worked out...I will post it shortly to the string and show everyone what I ended up doing on Sat...But thanks to the suggested software I was able to understand what I was doing and tune it to keep in style and boost it to a 90 Shill- Wee...its OG was 1.070 which is what I was looking for. But it had a pretty extreme bill even for an extract brew..THANKS!!!

Back