Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Here are a few.

Omg
Space, when referring to a room
Epic.
Fiscal cliff
Zombie apocalypse
Drinkability.

What could you go without hearing...

Perfect Storm
configurator
supposably
Like, when used gratuitously.
teh, when used deliberately as a word instead of being a typo.

Also, "take _____" I hear it on commercials all the time. Like "take the new checking acct at the local bank. It does this and that". Take it where? What ever happened to "take this FOR EXAMPLE!".

Sorry, bugs the crap outta me.

I hate literally when used in place of figuratively. Also YOLO, and anything pluralized that shouldn't be: ex. "yous guys", and "anyways"

$hit happens
think outside the box
interwebs
most texting/chat lingo used outside of texting/chat

"It is what it is." No sh*t. It's not what it's not. Water is wet. Fun toys are fun. So stupid.

It's especially infuriating when people use that phrase to justify their own screw-ups. "I ran the snowblower with the wrong gas? Oh, well. It is what it is. "

"Order up some ____"
N00b or newb
Posts that start "I don't have any experience in this area BUT ... " seriously stfu
Posts that say "I'll post the results here" never to be heard from again.

I hate the gender sensitivity in writing and speaking these days. Traditionally, when a gender-unspecified human is referenced by a pronoun the proper one to use is "he" or "him." It is not sexist, it is English. If our language must be altered to keep someone from feeling inferior then that person is inferior.

I hate the gender sensitivity in writing and speaking these days. Traditionally, when a gender-unspecified human is referenced by a pronoun the proper one to use is "he" or "him." It is not sexist, it is English. If our language must be altered to keep someone from feeling inferior then that person is inferior.

Well said!

"Its a generational thing!" no... you are too lazy to learn how use your phone. My ex-girlfriend's 80 year old grandmother used to trade stocks online. I dont want to hear it.

"In my day..." Any sentence that begins with this is going to end with something moronic and offensive. Punch the guy out before he gets a chance to finish.

Also, notice when mentioning offspring, anything politicised or requiring intervention of the law (or tax dollars) will make the youngsters "children" and anything not will make them "kids". For example "Jen is waiting a while before having kids" vs. "It should be against the law for people to drink outdoors in front OF OUR CHILDREN."

My beloved late grandmother had one that drove me crazy... "haste makes waste". Basically its an excuse for not getting something mundane completed the same day you initiate it.

"who wudda thunk it?" is getting rather old too

Misuse of "literally". "I got scared and literally jumped 50 feet in the air"... impossible.

Working in a park, my pet hate is "Gophers": with apologies to Minnesota's Golden variety...gopher as a catch-all for chipmunks, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, moles, voles...arrgh! The park is home to all of that list -except gophers!

"No, sir, the gopher did not eat your tent. The chipmunk did, and it's didn't so much eat your tent as chew the spilled cola out of the fabric."

Also, "lime" and "beer" in the same sentence, worse if the term "lite" is involved, too.

Gopher Lime Lite Beer - yeah, I'll pass.

When It's All Said And Done, The Bottom Line is that I am irritated by the overuse of At The End Of The Day.

Working in a park, my pet hate is "Gophers": with apologies to Minnesota's Golden variety...gopher as a catch-all for chipmunks, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, moles, voles...arrgh! The park is home to all of that list -except gophers!

"No, sir, the gopher did not eat your tent. The chipmunk did, and it's didn't so much eat your tent as chew the spilled cola out of the fabric."

Also, "lime" and "beer" in the same sentence, worse if the term "lite" is involved, too.

Gopher Lime Lite Beer - yeah, I'll pass.

"Gopher it!" :ban:

"that said...". Usually when I see that one, its followed by some statement that totally contradicts what came before it.

"no you shouldn't pitch an entire yeast cake, its overpitching for sure. That said, I do it all the time with no problems."

I can't...
I think (If you don't know, say so)
Anything that starts with "Dad, I'm running a little low on cash...:"

Latest posts

Back