What size brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
I am starting to buy some equipment for extract/AG brewing. I only intend to make 5 gallon batches. What size brew kettle should I buy? I have seen many makes and sizes but don't have pots of money to part with.
Are there any brands you can suggest too? Thanks.
Dave.

When I first got into AG, I bought a bargain 8 gallon aluminum tamale pot (Tramantora?). You can get them for cheap on Amazon. But I will warn you that for a 5.5 gallon batch, when you account for 0.5 gal for trub loss (so 6 gallons post boil volume), the pre-boil volume on a 90 minute boil will be very hard to manage. It could be near 7.5 gallons. You'd be better off buying a 10 gallon pot if possible.

Also don't forget to budget for a wort chiller. Chilling 6 gallons of wort in an ice bath is possible, but is a real PITA and a waste of money on ice.

Well crap... sux that I have 2 7.5 gallon pots.... ugh.... back to the store I go....

I just got my new 10 gallon pot this week, this was the best I could find for cheap, with lid and shipping it came to $60,
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/40-qt-standard-weight-aluminum-stockpot/40760378.html
Amazon has a 12 gallon porcelain pot for $60 with free shipping
I went with the aluminum because I can make a hole in it easier for a spigot in the future.

I still use my aluminum kettle, though it now has just about every add on installed like a ball valve, thermometer and sight glass combo. Aluminum is the lowest cost kettle for starting out, but remember, a kettle is something you will probably brew with for a long time until you eventually go all grain and increase your kettle volume:). I began with a 7 gallon pot, which was horrible for boiling 5 gallons, hot break became a permanent part of my stove top! Going with 10 gallons has always left me plenty of room to brew!

Back