Ale Mustard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFoodScientist

Reaction score
I'm working on a project involving an ale mustard, but I can't seem to get my hands on some rather than ordering online.

While I'm waiting on that, can anyone here offer any insight as to how much ale flavor comes through in an ale mustard? I see Sierra Nevada has some that they sell. Has anyone ever tried it, or tried making their own?

I wouldn't go with an IPA mustard myself.

I would take some Coleman's mustard powder and add an ale that you like and see how it goes.

I'm working on a project involving an ale mustard, but I can't seem to get my hands on some rather than ordering online.

While I'm waiting on that, can anyone here offer any insight as to how much ale flavor comes through in an ale mustard? I see Sierra Nevada has some that they sell. Has anyone ever tried it, or tried making their own?

Sierra Nevada Stout and Stone Ground was my go-to mustard before I married a gluten-free gal. It was fine mustard, but I don't remember the flavor of the stout coming out all that strongly. But then it was up against the mustard seed and whatever else was in my salad dressing, so the stout flavor probably didn't stand much of a chance.

I once decided to see what would happen if I mixed bourbon with Coleman's powder, thinking that it might be a good Carolina mustard sauce secret ingredient. The results were pretty awful. Beer would probably give you a better result, but I think you would be better off starting with the seeds, as suggested in this link.

Sierra Nevada Stout and Stone Ground was my go-to mustard before I married a gluten-free gal. It was fine mustard, but I don't remember the flavor of the stout coming out all that strongly. But then it was up against the mustard seed and whatever else was in my salad dressing, so the stout flavor probably didn't stand much of a chance.

I once decided to see what would happen if I mixed bourbon with Coleman's powder, thinking that it might be a good Carolina mustard sauce secret ingredient. The results were pretty awful. Beer would probably give you a better result, but I think you would be better off starting with the seeds, as suggested in this link.

Nice link. The powder just seemed easier, seeds are definitely preferable.

We have a jar of sierra Nevada porter mustard in the fridge. Its great. Check high end or specialty grocery stores, ours came from "the fresh market"

Back