The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been trying to absorb as much water chemistry knowledge as I can and came across Nashville's water report in case someone was interested, a guy posted it HERE

I just mixed a couple ounces of cooled wort (belgian abbey) with a couple shots of bourbon. F*cking delicious.

Since this thread is by Tennessee Home Brewers, does anyone know of any other brewers in Southern Middle TN.? Say close to Giles, Lincoln, or Lawrence Counties.?

mcnewcp said:
I just mixed a couple ounces of cooled wort (belgian abbey) with a couple shots of bourbon. F*cking delicious.

Cool. We did a couple rounds of car bombish dry stout and bourbon last night. Now to work up a bourbon barrel stout recipe. What kind of Bourben?

There is a club in Tullahoma called the Backwoods Carboys Brew Club, isn't that Lincoln County? One of their guys came to our MSBC meeting and was a good guy.

There is a club in Tullahoma called the Backwoods Carboys Brew Club, isn't that Lincoln County? One of their guys came to our MSBC meeting and was a good guy.
That's Moore County. About 2 hours from where I live. I currently associate with the Rocket City Brewers out of Huntsville, AL. and their meetings are a 40 to 90 minute drive away. I was hoping to find some brewers closer to home.

BrewWhat said:
That's Moore County. About 2 hours from where I live. I currently associate with the Rocket City Brewers out of Huntsville, AL. and their meetings are a 40 to 90 minute drive away. I was hoping to find some brewers closer to home.

Sorry, had my counties confused....plus I am half drunk on my 7 C's pale ale.

MMMmmmmm 7c's ... I dry hopped the last IPA I made with that. GREAT Aroma

I just finished off a growler of Yazoo Hop Project #65 ... great beer they made up there. Much better than 64. And right up there with 63

Are we still doing the APA thing this weekend? I have a citra brew that I'd like for you guys to try.

Steveo did you send a sample to ward labs? I did about 2 yrs ago and it was super hard water here in springfield we get our water from adams.

I would think your water would be closer to mine than nashville water. heck Bobby has white house water and its fairly soft. My inlaws have white house water and thats what I brew with since my water has a total hardness of 194 CaCO3. Anything I want to brew besides a porter or a stout I need to cut with atleast 50% RO water.

Have you messed around with the Ez water Calc.? I have used all 3 of them. I like the newest version but I wish he would have put salt as an addition in there this time.

Csuho said:
Steveo did you send a sample to ward labs? I did about 2 yrs ago and it was super hard water here in springfield we get our water from adams.

I would think your water would be closer to mine than nashville water. heck Bobby has white house water and its fairly soft. My inlaws have white house water and thats what I brew with since my water has a total hardness of 194 CaCO3. Anything I want to brew besides a porter or a stout I need to cut with atleast 50% RO water.

Have you messed around with the Ez water Calc.? I have used all 3 of them. I like the newest version but I wish he would have put salt as an addition in there this time.

Yeh. Mine is slightly high. Not bad. RA=65 CaCO3=100. Boy yours is high. I have been cutting with distilled and adding back some CaSO4 and CaCl2 for lighter beers.
Just recently got into EZ. I like it. BeerSmith has table salt.

Oh for Who ever is interested. I just confirmed I've got 2 extra ballocks. Show up sat with cash.

I am reading somewhat now on how to use slaked lime to reduce the hardness in my water so when I finally get my shed built here at my house I can brew here instead of 5 miles away at the inlaws.

Just an update on whats going on in my world.....I won the Music City Brewers/Bosco's Pro Am with an IPA (dankness clone) and I will get to brew it (or a version of it) on the Bosco's system and have it served in the taproom....as well as have it entered in the GABF comp and go out to Denver for the conference

J-Malone said:
Just an update on whats going on in my world.....I won the Music City Brewers/Bosco's Pro Am with an IPA (dankness clone) and I will get to brew it (or a version of it) on the Bosco's system and have it served in the taproom....as well as have it entered in the GABF comp and go out to Denver for the conference

Awesome, Congrats John. Let us know when it's available.

Congrats! :ban:

Damn! Well lookie 'ere boys, we's gots ourselves a ceeelebrity!

Congrats and best of luck!

Thats some cool news. I will have to head up there and give it a try. Are any of you getting ready for the Music City Brewfest??? I wish they would post what brewers are gonna be there.

Nice on the Bosco's win! I wish I liked any of their beers and I'd get up there and try it! :cross:

I got my beerfest tickets but I gotta admit, I usually try and make a lap in the first hour and it won't really matter what brewers are there cause I doubt I'll remember much of it :ban:

Congrats on the win man.

Hasn't Boscos' heffe won gold at GABF multiple times including last year? I keep meaning to try it but I still haven't.

Boscos has some pretty good beer. I get the sampler pretty much everytime I go there. Of course I do the same at Big River too LOLOLOL

Nightstalker said:
Thats some cool news. I will have to head up there and give it a try. Are any of you getting ready for the Music City Brewfest??? I wish they would post what brewers are gonna be there.

It won't be on until probably Aug or Sept. But I'll let u know when it is. I'll be at the brew fest for both sessions. MCB is running a booth and as president I get comped passes. ;-). Not sure of the lineup yet but its always pretty good

Carter5112 said:
Nice on the Bosco's win! I wish I liked any of their beers and I'd get up there and try it! :cross:

I got my beerfest tickets but I gotta admit, I usually try and make a lap in the first hour and it won't really matter what brewers are there cause I doubt I'll remember much of it :ban:
U don't have to like their beers to try mine...lol. its a hoppy west coast IPA.

mcnewcp said:
Congrats on the win man.

Hasn't Boscos' heffe won gold at GABF multiple times including last year? I keep meaning to try it but I still haven't.

Boscos hefe is outstanding. Karen does a good job w it. 2 wins in the last couple years

Nightstalker said:
Boscos has some pretty good beer. I get the sampler pretty much everytime I go there. Of course I do the same at Big River too LOLOLOL

I liked the alt beer they had a while back it was excellent. I like hop god (dry hopped cask version best)

Nightstalker said:
Hop God Ale ... never heard of that one. Is it a seasonal?

Its an occasional ale. The do it a lot but it shows up a lot on weds in dry hopped casks and stuff....really nice

if lamp is beer then yes! i heart anchorman :) i figured that remark would fly in a mindless dribble thread ;) <jessup realizes he's not from TN and slowly backs out of thread>

Back