Extract that does NOT have Carapils?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: Why?

Advice: Not to my knowledge. Simply use any Extra Light DME or Pilsner DME to minimize the amount of additional ingredients. Briess contains carapils. Muntons contains caramalt, which is more akin to crystal 10-15. Both versions are probably 95-98% pure two-row.

Where did you find this about Muntons? I found all of Breiss has Carapils. Muntons is normally old. Why is because I don't want Carapils.

If you dont want carapils because you are concerned about attenuation. There is an easy fix for this that's also somewhat cheaper.

Substitute in 5-10% dextrose (corn sugar) in place of the extract. Also, and I see this happen all the time in extract recipes, watch your amount of crystal malts. Some recipes will say to use golden lme which contains carapils, and then it says add another .5lb of carapils largely because the all grain version contained it as well. And then another stuck fermentation thread gets started and someone tells the OP to go AG. Rant off.

Smaller beers (1.040-1.050) I use 3-5% dextrose, bigger beers 1.070+ I'll use 6-10% depending on yeast choice, and how dry I want the beer.

Where did you find this about Muntons? I found all of Breiss has Carapils. Muntons is normally old. Why is because I don't want Carapils.

Muntons is not normally old. It's a very reputable maltster and IMO more tasty than Briess. Many brewers would agree. Though there is certainly nothing wrong with Briess products. Muntons are Briess are among the top two quality competitors. However, Briess offers a slightly sweeter, stickier DME. In my experience, Briess DME has been more difficult to work with when adding a portion as a late addition. I get more clumping and slower dissolving. All in all, I tend to prefer English 2-row, even in American IPAs. It's very similar to American 2-row, but with slightly more character.

In regard to your specific question about Muntons, they had their own line of Carapils for many years, (which brewers thought was exactly like Weyermann Carafoam or Briess Carapils). However, Muntons changed the "Carapils" suffix to the aptly named "Caramalt" in an effort to be less misleading. This is because the Lovibond of the grain is 10-15 L, and thus is more akin to Crystal 10-15.

You shouldn't have a problem with using extra light DME. Just don't add any additional carapils. As duck said, you can combat these minor effects with supplementing some corn sugar.

Back