Can't Figure It Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xiren

Reaction score
I just did another batch. I did not get my ingredients in time to make a starter, so I pitched 2 vials of yeast instead. I do not add oxygen prior to pitching, I just agitate it to death. It has been over 24 hours and I still have no bubbles from my air lock. My beer has been drinkable, but that is it. I am beginning to think that I am doing something wrong in my process. I even pitched at 65* instead of 70* thinking that might be the problem as well. If I could get some or any ideas.
Thank you in advance.

24 hours is a little early to worry without a starter, wait at least 48.

Are you doing full boils? If so I'm not sure that just agitating the fermenter will introduce enough oxygen into the wort (someone will correct me I'm sure). Can you post your whole process (including recipe)? Maybe we can see where you're getting tripped up.

9 lb German Pilsner
.5 lb Munich
.5 German Wheat

1 oz hallertauer at 60 min
1 oz hallertauer at 15 min

Mashed at 149* for 90 min. Drained all the wort out. Added 170* water for 10 min. That gave me a OG of 1.051. Somehow my water was a little off. I had to add 1/2 gallon and so my gravity was down. I added 1 cup of light DME to bring it up. My OG should have been 1.049. I let the yeast tubes sit out of the fridge for 3 hours prior to pitching. After I mashed, I boiled for 60 min. Put my chiller in at 20 min. It took 35 min to bring it down to pitching temp. I misspoke when I said agitated the wort. I Star San 2 buckets and vigorously poured the wort back and forth about 6 times. I put the 2 tubes of yeast in, poured the wort on top of the yeast. I then used a racking cane, sterilized, to put the beer into my carboy. I am fermenting using the wet t-shirt and fan trick to keep the temp at 62* or lower. So far so good.
If you need any other info, let me know. Thanks again.

Back