Belgians using 2-Row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I have two sacks of domestic 2-row and I was thinking of brewing up some Belgian style beers. Specifically Wits, Pale Ale, and Golden Strong Ale. I usually use Belgian Pilsner but being the cheap homebrewer I want to use what I have. Any thoughts about using 2-Row vs. Belgian Pilsner? I figure that these beers derive most of their character from the yeast and fermentation and the malt won't be a big part of the flavor but I don't know. Thanks.:mug:

Would it be closer using domestic pils?

I've used domestic pils and two row in Belgian beers before, but only in two dubbels and a Belgian stout. I figure the malty or roasty flavors would drown out any distinct characteristics Belgian malts have. Didn't really notice much of a dif.

IMO, the most important things for brewing Belgian beer are Belgian yeast, temp control, and real candi syrup. Other than that, experimenting and breaking the rules is kind of the entire spirit of Belgian beer. Don't forget, we're Americans, we are allowed to brew with American malts. Belgian brewers brew with U.S. hops all the time.

Well as opposed to 6-row yes I think only we Americans use 6-row and thats just for high adjunct brewing.

I've used US 2-row for tripels and dubbels with good results. With the golden I'd think that pilsner would be better... never tried my duvel clone with 2-row so I really can't say.

Back