Can you Brew It recipe for Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1054
FG
40.3 IBU
6.8 SRM

90 min boil

4.26kg US 2-row
600g Rye
600g Munich
300g Victory
220g Honey Malt

14g Magum 14%AA @60m
14g Fuggles 5%AA @ 30m
14g Goldings 4.75%AA @20m
14g Goldings @10m
17g Cascade 5.75%AA @ 1m
35g Amarillo dry hop

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash at 154

Ferment at 66F

Dry hop at 66F for one day, reduce to 60F for the remainder of dry hop

Water profile:
(Mild Ale/Dark Lager)
75ppm Ca
12ppm Mg
35ppm Na
100ppm Cl
120ppm Sulfates
0ppm Bicarbonate

I just brewed this, it's going under CO2 tonight. I only did a 60 min boil so my preboil volume was only 6.5. My FG came out to be 1.050.

My grain bill was a bit different, I used this one: http://www.johnsubasavage.com/Brewing/Recipes/20080802_Terrapin_Rye_Pale_Ale_Clone.html
So where you have 600g each of rye and munich I had 1lb munich and 2lbs rye.
Dry hopped with amrillo at 70 for one day then let it sit at about 55 for 6 more. I did two weeks in the primary and then dry hopped for a week in my corny.

I am interested to see how this is coming along, it was good out of the fermenter but didn't have as much rye flavor as I thought it would. Will see how it comes along in time.

Oh, and I never use any gypsum or water treatments they discuss. I just filter my water for every brew.

I didn't brew this one, but Tasty had a keg of it available at the BN Winter Brew's Fest earlier this year and I give it a big thumbs up. It was probably my favorite of all the homebrews they had on tap, with the possible exception of Nathan Smith's Old Ale.

I brewed this one up yesterday; had a FG of 1.056. It was fermenting away nicely this morning. I will report back on how it turns out.

I brewed something very similar to this. Used columbus instead of Magnum and Willamette instead of Fuggles and EKG.

I emailed spike awhile back and got the recipe. The hops are a bit different from what your recipe is but very similar. Sub Warrior for Magnum, and 2 oz of Amarillo per 5g for dry hopping. He also has it a 38 IBU's.

The version I made came out really well. I think there could have been a bit more rye though.

Sorry I always forget to update.

I really liked it, thought this version had more hops then the Terrapin version I have had. Thought this would be a beer that the girls would like (as terrapin rye is) but this was a bit hoppy for them. Maybe if I let it sit for a couple weeks longer the hops would have faded but I had a party and the keg was kicked when it was about 4 weeks old.

i brewed this as well and it was the best beer i have ever brewed (although i do LOVE Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale). With that said, i agree that this is hoppier but i will also say that i liked this beer even more than the commercial version because of it.

This is a GREAT commercial beer and even better recipe. LOVE IT!!

anyone have a suggestion for an extract/partial mash version of this??

anyone have a suggestion for an extract/partial mash version of this??

You have to mash rye, but it can be done in a partial mash.

2.37kg DME

Partial Mash

600g US 2-Row
add all other grains from recipe above.

This assumes a full boil.

Conversion of recipes has been covered on here and other places extensively. As an extract/partial brewer, this is a process that you should become familiar with.

http://www.brew-dudes.com/all-grain-to-extract-conversion/78

Eric

Just brewed this up two nights ago. My one mistake was to add 300g of Honey malt rather than the 220g called for by the recipe, so it might be sweeter than the original. I also mashed a bit lower, at 152F. We'll see how the end result turns out. The smells from the fermentor are pretty amazing right now, and I plan to add the Amarillo dry hops tomorrow.

the aroma from the dry hop is my favorite part of this beer. I LOVED this

I tasted the hydro sample last night. Great recipe. FG was 1.012--down from an OG of 1.058--so a little more alcohol than I expected. However, the sweetness of the honey malt, coupled with the overall bready malt background and generous hopping schedule, really makes for a fantastic beer. I have a feeling this is going to be a popular offering at my house. Can't wait to get it on the gas and ready for the tap.

I tasted the hydro sample last night. Great recipe. FG was 1.012--down from an OG of 1.058--so a little more alcohol than I expected. However, the sweetness of the honey malt, coupled with the overall bready malt background and generous hopping schedule, really makes for a fantastic beer. I have a feeling this is going to be a popular offering at my house. Can't wait to get it on the gas and ready for the tap.

That is surprising that you got down to 1012. That is 80% apparent attenuation with a lower attenuating yeast and mashing at 154.

Eric

Yeah, it surprised me as well. I kept fermentation at 64-66F throughout, too. However, I did mash at 151 because I wanted it a little drier. But that attenuation still surprised me (not in an unpleasant way).

Just brewed this one last night. Terrapin Rye is currently my favorite pale ale, and being that we don't get this in Arkansas, it makes things difficult. I can see this beer quickly becoming my house pale.

Quick update. I pulled my first pint tonight and have to say this is one of the best beers I've ever made. It was a tad too sweet because I accidentally put in too much honey malt, but even that does not detract at all from the beer. The hops are wonderful, the malt backbone is perfect, and it is dangerously drinkable. Highly, highly recommended.

I did a partial mash of this and it turned out great. I just did a side by side tasting, and it's damn close. Mine is still a little under carbed (only two weeks in the bottle so far), but the hops come through a lot more clearly. The rye makes for such a fresh aftertaste. I can already tell I'll be brewing this one often.

I brewed this a few months ago. It was straight by the recipe (including the water chemistry) except I used Denny's Favorite for the yeast.

Possibly the best beer I've brewed in the two plus years I've been brewing.

I haven't tasted the original, but I like rye ales and love APAs and IPAs, so it looked like a no brainer. It was, but I can't compare it to the original.

L

Think S-05 would be fine for this one? I don't see why not but I'm curious what others think. Sounds delicious.

Think S-05 would be fine for this one? I don't see why not but I'm curious what others think. Sounds delicious.

Should be fine. S-05 will probably attenuate a little more and have a cleaner fermentation profile. I don't see that at all detracting from this beer.

i'm planning on brewing this, but I have no victory or biscuit malt? can i use a little aromatic? how much? is 200g alright?

i'm planning on brewing this, but I have no victory or biscuit malt? can i use a little aromatic? how much? is 200g alright?

Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer both stock Victory.

If you don't want to order it online, Aromatic will be all right. It won't be the same, but it would work.

Eric

Brewed this one back in March and it turned out great. The hop character was more evident in my 10 gal. batch, but I think alot of that can be attributed to the age and storage of the six pack of the commercial example that I had. Defnitely one of the best pale ales I have made, and I must say that I am a huge fan of the American ale II strain. Repitched it to a porter and that turned out very nice as well. Too bad my LHBS only carries white labs strains.

Brewed this one back in March and it turned out great. The hop character was more evident in my 10 gal. batch, but I think alot of that can be attributed to the age and storage of the six pack of the commercial example that I had. Defnitely one of the best pale ales I have made, and I must say that I am a huge fan of the American ale II strain. Repitched it to a porter and that turned out very nice as well. Too bad my LHBS only carries white labs strains.

Same yeast in theory WLP051 California V Ale Yeast .

can't get it. live outside the country. just have about 200g of aromatic. wondering if that's too much. thanks, c

just brewed this last night with a friend. this is about my 4th all-grain batch, and we did really well, hit all our numbers. We used US-05 and I had no victory, so I subbed 100g of aromatic. I know it won't be exactly the same, but the color in the hydrometer tube looked amazing, and tasted great. and about 8 hrs later, the fermentation cranked up like magic. thanks for all the help, I'll keep y'all posted on how it turns out.
c

just brewed this last night with a friend. this is about my 4th all-grain batch, and we did really well, hit all our numbers. We used US-05 and I had no victory, so I subbed 100g of aromatic. I know it won't be exactly the same, but the color in the hydrometer tube looked amazing, and tasted great. and about 8 hrs later, the fermentation cranked up like magic. thanks for all the help, I'll keep y'all posted on how it turns out.
c

I bet it will turn out fantastic. I plan on brewing this sometime this summer and will post photos.

Eric

so what's the general consensus on the total length of the dry hop? 1 week?

so what's the general consensus on the total length of the dry hop? 1 week?

Also, do you guys recommend the 35g (1.23 oz) addition of the amarillo for dry hopping, or do you think less/more is favorable? The reason I ask is because I ordered a Terrapin Rye Pale Ale clone from AHS, and it came with 2 oz of amarillo to dry hop with. The hops I added during the boil were a little different than this recipe as well.

i think i dry hopped for the week but whatever can you brew is said for dry hopping was actually more than the real beer (for me at least) but was still delicious. Like i mentioned earlier, this was my best brew to date.

I experienced the same situation as JewRican. My beer had quite a bit more hop flavor and aroma than the commercial example.....not that thats a bad thing, but if you're going for a clone, and your typically get good hop utilization, then I would dial back the dry hop. Or you could just taste the beer every day or so as you dry hop it and then keg it when you think its right. Also one of my best brews to date.

I experienced the same situation as JewRican. My beer had quite a bit more hop flavor and aroma than the commercial example.....not that thats a bad thing, but if you're going for a clone, and your typically get good hop utilization, then I would dial back the dry hop. Or you could just taste the beer every day or so as you dry hop it and then keg it when you think its right. Also one of my best brews to date.

Awesome. I'll do this.

Back