Sam75's Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rightwingnut

Reaction score
The first one I had was the Old Dirty Bird (Old Speckled Hen clone). Don't know how good it was as a clone, but it was a great beer...easy drinking. Then I had the Orange-Corriander Weisse. Very good representation of the style, I think. I liked it alot. Very similar to Hoegaarden Wit, although I've only tried that once. Keep up the good work, Sam!

Cool, thanks! You can give that porter a shot whenever you want, but it's some pretty hairy stuff. I went overboard with the DME, I think. :D

You didn't find that OSH clone a little yeasty?

I didn't notice it being yeasty, although I may not know what exactly "yeasty" tastes like. I'm kinda avoiding the porter and vanilla stout, after hearing such rave reviews....but I'll try 'em soon. Speaking of bad brew, I'm thinking of dumping my "Bitter"...you know, the sweet one. I'm not ever gonna drink it when I could buy better beer....

ORRELSE said:
Just for the record--I didn't send a vanilla stout. The one I sent was a regular Oatmeal Stout. It's coming into its own now, and it's drinkable. :p

I'll add to this record--the remaining 8 bottles of vanilla stout have been officially DUMPED. Yecccchhhhhh!!!! That had no hope. I think the vodka (which I used to soak vanilla beans in to make an extract) destroyed that batch.

It freed up 6 Anchor bottles, which add to the collection for a future batch of something I decide to bottle.

GLAD IT'S GONE!!!!!

ORRELSE said:
I'll add to this record--the remaining 8 bottles of vanilla stout have been officially DUMPED. Yecccchhhhhh!!!! That had no hope. I think the vodka (which I used to soak vanilla beans in to make an extract) destroyed that batch.

It freed up 6 Anchor bottles, which add to the collection for a future batch of something I decide to bottle.

GLAD IT'S GONE!!!!!

Cool, I'll be sure to send you over some of my porter, to make up for it. :D

FWIW, if you ever do the vanilla stout again, don't use vodka to extract the flavor. Try using pure grain alcohol (Everclear). An ex-girlfriend's late father made the best homemade vanilla extract and that is what he used.

Back