First brew went great, but I went wrong.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-

Reaction score
So i brewed a caribou slobber, my first brew ever and at first it went great. The finished wort tasted amazing, using a hydrometer for the first time I think it was at 1.025 as i wasnt to concerned with that part being my first attempt. I did everything exactly as the guy in the video it came with told me. I pitched the yeast at 80 degrees(thought it was strange the package and instructions listed wyeast but i got danstar and danstar was used in the video) and stuck the 5 gallon carboy my pantry with it sitting in a plastic pan of water in case i needed to adjust the temp. This video is made for first timers and does not say anything about right fermenting temperature. I'm kinda pissed about that. It just says to put in a cool spot.

Well, what's cool? I live in Texas. My sticky thermometer said that the carboy was 70f so I was ok with that. 6 hours later it took off like a rocket! There was a thick cake like layer at the top and I was happy knowing that I had made alcohol one way or another. But now, 34 hours later the cake all but disappeared and i noticed the thermometer said it was 73. My apartment is at 68. I guess that pantry sucks. Thinking about the design of these apartments, I think my down stairs neighbor's dryer is almost right under my pantry, Lucky me. So yea im kinda bummed out. From what I read low 60s 65 is ideal right? Any reassurance or advice for my next ale? Was that od on target?

You're temps are not that far off, you may not even have any particularly noticeable off-flavors after conditioning. But yes, low 60's is generally a good ale target, though some yeasts may need 66-70 for best results.

1.025 is a bit high for this to finish, how long did you let it go for?

Let it go? Sorry I am new at this. I spun the hydrometer and let it settle for a few seconds, the reading was just ever so slightly under the 1.02 mark. So maybe I am wrong saying 1.025.

Try to cool it down a bit, and give it 3 weeks or so before bottling. You're going to make a good beer!

34 hours is relatively quick to take a hydrometer sample, I would say maybe after a week, but usually it's best to leave them in 2-3 weeks in primary so that even if the beer is done fermenting the yeast can clean up after itself and if your temps were a little high and the yeast produced a couple esters or off flavors it will help a little to clean that up as well

Depends on the yeast. Different yeast like different temperatures. That is one reason why we have so many strains. Yeast activity will raise the temps above ambient. The little yeast guys are working and their work raises the temperature. You would have to post the particular strain you are using for a temperature guess. My thought is if it listed a Wyeast as part of the kit, $8.00 and sent a Danstar $3.00 I would want to know why.

I threw the package away but i think it said Munich. Do you think they gave me dry yeast because its in a starter kit and maybe liquid yeast is a bit more fragile? Because honestly I was sitting on the kit for a whole day before I knew about refrigerating yeast. I got it from northern brewer, and out of all the crappy American companies Ive been dealing with my whole life I must say that I am very impressed how they do their biz.

I threw the package out but I think it said Munich. Do you think they gave me dry yeast because it is part of a starter kit? From what I read, the liquid stuff is a bit more fragile and honestly I was sitting on the kit for a whole day before I read about refrigeration of yeast. I got it from northern brewer. And of all the crappy American companies ive had to deal with all my life, I must say that I'm quite impressed at how they do biz.

Thanks for clearing a few things up for me. I also broke a crappy thermometer in my bottling bucket full of starsan, and then after rinsing it out of course.... left the spigot open and sanitized my floor.

about a week after fermentation, it is looking good. Hydrometer is at 1.015. It tastes like a hoppy shiner bock, which is surprising. Ill let the yeast clear it all up for a couple weeks tho. Yayy to a successful first brew!!!!

Back