help with my water issuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overdbus

Reaction score
Guys what prompted me to start this was this sadistic notion is that I would somehow
have a vague understanding of water/brewing chemistry,what I've done so far is called
the city and got my water report ,losely compared it with whats in "How To Brew" by John
Palmer. Then went to a local (less that 6 miles away) craft brewery and spoke with the*
brew master ,since there's a very good chance our water is close to the same (it is ,he*
looked at my report), he also showed me their filter setup and told me they use just
grains to lower the mash PH (one of the reasons their IPA is just a little darker) .
So now I have just enough of a clue to be …

I am sorry if have left something out ,all I have done so far is setup
a charcoal water filter(haven't used it yet). Like others here what I am after is the more
hop flavor in my IPA style beers.

Anyway here what the EZ Water Calc came up with:

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 46.94
Mg: 11.63
Na: 34.08
Cl: 36.39
SO4: 50.14
HCO3: 104.93

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 4.25 / 3.8
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 14.0

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 0 / 0
CaCl2: 0 / 0
MgSO4: 0 / 0
NaHCO3: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 47 / 47
Mg: 12 / 12
Na: 34 / 34
Cl: 36 / 36
SO4: 50 / 50
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.73 / 0.73

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 105
RA: 65
Estimated pH: 5.70
(room temp)

That looks fine, excepting that you should use some acid or acid malt to reduce the pH a bit more. As the local brewer alludes to, the alkalinity is a bit high and needs some neutralization via acid for many brews.

Back