help with a belgian trippel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBmadtown

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Belgian Trippel. The recipe calls for 0.5 oz of summit hops for 60 min. My LHBS doesn't carry summit.

According to -

http://www.brew365.com/hop_substitution_chart.php

Cascade would be a suitable substitution (which my LHBS has). The AA is about 1/3 of summit. So, I am thinking I would need 1.5 oz. Does that sound about right? In hops substitutions you want to match AAU as close as possible right?

I would suggest amarillo if you can get it. Much better hop in my opinion than cascade. And yes, you're correct. You need to match the AAU's.

Would you mind posting the recipe? I don't think I've ever seen a Trippel an American Hop schedule.

But if it is for bittering purposes I would be more concerned with matching the AAU's than anything else.

Good luck!

Recipe probably uses Summit to keep hop mass and cost down. If you want to use American hops, look to the noble daughters (esp. Mt. Hood), not grapefruity C-hops, unless you're going for the Houblon Chouffe IPA Tripel thing.

I'm really happy with my recent Tripel with 100% American hops (Mt. Hood and Willamette).

Latest posts

Back