One of them days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jppostKW

Reaction score
Tuesdays are my normal brew day so i wake up like every other with thoughts of beer on the brain SWMBO decides we need to go to the zoo so that pushed the brew day back by 4 hours no worries though at this point. So after ward i pick up my grain and hops looking forward to BM's oktoberFASt. so i start heating up my mash water get it to 173 degrees strike temp pre heat my tun etc.. well i miss my strike temp by 8 degrees no room in my 5 gallon tun for more hot water. At this point i am rolling with the punches and let it mash for the 60 min. Start heating up the sparge water and get ready to start sparging. do my first batch sparge and every thing seems alright. do my second and start stiring grain and knock a hand full into the boil kettle damn. Oh well says i finish out the sparge and start my boil seems like its taking a while to get it up to temp with my turkey fryer. FINALLY get a boil going and never hit rolling status. run outta propane.....haul ass to the store and ge another tank hook it back up and start my boil again still will not hit my boil needed to get down to my target volume gravity etc. I finish my boil 90 minutes later and still have 6.6 gallons of wort..MEOW. rack as much as i can into the carboy and pitch im way low on my OG but hey RDWAHAHB right!!!! i can always brew it again.:(

I would have done is a poor man's decoction and drained off the amount of boiling water you would need to hit your mash temp and boil that amount of runoff, after vortlauf-ing or straining somehow of course.

You just convinced me to get a propane spare. I can't imagine this happening to me.

I almost ran my tank dry heating up my strike water last Sunday, on Easter no less.

Lucky me, the garden shop down on the corner was open and I got my refill during my mash... I had a good 5 minute freakout though.

Back