Can you use ice too cool the wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jah

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why no one just puts ice in the wort instead of cold water to bring to 5 gallons? Would this not be a very rapid way of getting it down to temp? I am sure there is a reason for this so any input would be great.

Many people do that. Most of them sanitize a container (like an ice cream bucket) and add either boiled water or bottled water to it and then freeze that. You don't want to use commercial ice, because of the chance of contamination. But your own ice from a sanitized container is fine. So, cool the wort a little from boiling (even ice won't completely chill two or three gallons of boiling wort) and then put it in the primary bucket, and add the ice. I'd do it in several different additions, so you don't over cool it. I'd probably freeze 2 or 3 block of a couple of quarts, and then top up the rest with water.

Many use carboys, so you can't do that with a carboy! Also, you can't do that will full boils, so that's why I use a wort chiller.

Well if I had to guess, the ice would melt and turn into hot water within 10 seconds. I definatly would not use bags of ice because that water is nasty and contaminated. I don't know though. I've never tried it and never heard of anyone trying it.

I used to do this all the time with my partial mash recipes. I never had a contamination problem from store bought ice. However, I was particular about where I bought it and ask if they maintain the RO filters.

With partial boils, I'll buy RO gallons from Walmart and freeze 1, and cool another.

When I reach flame out, I'll dip the jugs in some starsan, then cut off the plastic container, and put the ice into the primary. Then dump in the chilled RO water. Then I laddle the hot word directly into the chilled water without any pouring or splashing.

Only takes about a 1-2 minutes, and the final temp is around 70-72 degrees. Perfect for pitching. I actually have an IC that I use for bigger boils, or when using the carboy as primary. But the smaller boils chill almost instantly using the ice method.

nick

HP_Lovecraft said:
Then I laddle the hot word directly into the chilled water without any pouring or splashing.

Why are you worried about splashing won't this help aerate?

Just to keep from making a mess?

Hot side aeration can be a concern. There is some debate about it, but you can read up on it by doing a search on it. Basically, you don't want to splash or aerate hot wort, You want to aerate when the wort is less than 80 degrees or so.

I watched a video on the Sam Adams site where Jim koch shows how to brew. In his video he uses ice and dumps his hot wort on to it. I guess if says it's OK, there must be something to it.

I'm pretty sure Jim Koch laddled in that video as well, since thats where the idea came from. The only difference is I used a much bigger laddle.

Regardless, the end result is right about 70 degrees which is perfect. Many will pitch at 75-80, but I don't want to take a chance at sucking in the airlock fluid.

nick

I have used dozens of bags of store bought ice in the past for this purpose, and have never had an infection. I also just use tap water frozen in sanitised tubs if I remember to do this the day before.

I use plastic soda bottles with frozen water in them. Sanitised the bottle and pitch in to pot at flame out.

HP_Lovecraft said:
Many will pitch at 75-80, but I don't want to take a chance at sucking in the airlock fluid.

nick

I've started using $10/gal vodka in my airlocks for that very reason...nothing to worry about.

mazdamike said:
I use plastic soda bottles with frozen water in them. Sanitised the bottle and pitch in to pot at flame out.

Aren't you afraid that the plastic would melt and leach chemicals into your very hot wort?

Latest posts

Back