Fast Sour Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it have to be good?

Just kidding. Plenty of folks here have done respectable sour beers using fresh Jolly Pumpkin dregs in a 4-5 month time frame.

Why the aversion to the sour mash? You can make a very good sour mash Berliner Weisse in 1-3 weeks depending on if you keg or bottle.

Elsewise, I'd have to say WLP645, which may or may not be pure Brett C, can make a tart to sour beer in under 2 months including time in the bottle.

I personally think that something like this shouldn't be rushed along. But that's just me. I brewed my first sour last year and know where you're coming from but just think you should brew them, forget about them and let them do their thing for a year or so. I'm going to brew one every six months so I can have a pipeline going but the hardest thing for me was just starting it and knowing it wouldn't be ready for a really long time.

Sorry, that wasn't very helpful.

I am not opposed to sour mashing. I plan to do more sour mashing as it gets warmer outside, and I have a sour with wlp665 that has been aging for 5 months. I just love sour beers and was hoping that I could brew something to hold me over until my other one is ready.

Elsewise, I'd have to say WLP645, which may or may not be pure Brett C, can make a tart to sour beer in under 2 months including time in the bottle.

I'm assuming you are adding some sort of lactic acid producing bacteria to your Brettanomyces claussenii? Brettanomyces works beautifully with sour beers, but it does not produce lactic acid and is often given credit for the work done by lactic acid producing bacteria Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. It can produce a small amount of acetic acid in an aerobic environment, but the majority acetic acid in a brewery typically comes from Acetobacter.

I'm assuming you are adding some sort of lactic acid producing bacteria to your Brettanomyces claussenii? Brettanomyces works beautifully with sour beers, but it does not produce lactic acid and is often given credit for the work done by lactic acid producing bacteria Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. It can produce a small amount of acetic acid in an aerobic environment, but the majority acetic acid in a brewery typically comes from Acetobacter.

Nothing but WLP645, hence the 'may or may not be pure brett C' comment. Chad Y plated it out a few years ago and found 2 lacto strain and pichia. I was emailing someone with lab access at taking a look at mine, but haven't gotten it sent out yet.

OP: If you want a quick tasty sour beer, try a sour mash Berliner. It's easy, cheap, and delicious.

sour mashing makes your house smell sooooooo bad, you will be lucky if you ever see your lady again!
I am going to try a Berliner with about 10% acidulated malt and Brett B Trois to accentuate he sourness.

Nothing but WLP645, hence the 'may or may not be pure brett C' comment. Chad Y plated it out a few years ago and found 2 lacto strain and pichia. I was emailing someone with lab access at taking a look at mine, but haven't gotten it sent out yet.

OP: If you want a quick tasty sour beer, try a sour mash Berliner. It's easy, cheap, and delicious.

I have a 100% fermented WLP645 going right now, so it will be interesting to see how it develops over time.

ocluke said:
I have a 100% fermented WLP645 going right now, so it will be interesting to see how it develops over time.

What's the hopping like? Not of the sour beers I made were low ibu - 1/2 oz of something in a tea ball in the wort until the boil started.

WLP 645 will get you a tart beer, for sure. No added lacto or pedio necessary. I made a saison with WLP 585 and 645 and it was ready to rock in 90 days. Tart and dry as a bone.

ICWiener said:
WLP 645 will get you a tart beer, for sure. No added lacto or pedio necessary. I made a saison with WLP 585 and 645 and it was ready to rock in 90 days. Tart and dry as a bone.

I'm going to do a batch of house 645/ecy03 blend in something super simple, probably all pils touch of rye and flaked oats.

I did all pilsner malt and about 6 oz of flaked wheat. That was it. Simple is good, don't let anything get in the way of the funk!

Also, I hopped mine with about 2 oz of Saaz @ 60min and 1 oz at 5 min.

Latest posts

Back