Bourbon Barrel Old Ale Secondary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky7s

Reaction score
I've had a Midwest Bourbon Barrel Old Ale on oak cubes and 16+ Oz. of Makers Mark in the secondary since Jan 1. The temp is 58-58* (kept in garage). Any suggestions on how long to keep in secondary before bottling? I figure it'll be late April to early May before ambient temp will be much above 60*. Will 2 more months require additional yeast for bottling?

16 ozs seems like a decent amount of bourbon.

Oak can get overpowering, but fortunately it will mellow over time. But if it is way over it will take a long time.

Go taste it, if it is about right, bottle it. You are probably OK for yeast right now, but a couple more months of cold weather and I think I would probably re-yeast.

When I did a bourbon barrel type beer last year it was the oak and not the bourbon that was too much. I used 16oz of bourbon in a 5 gal batch and I thought that was just about right. The problem was the oak. I left it in there WAY too long and it ended up tasting like a tree. I would taste it every week and bottle it when it tastes right to you.

Back