Did I pick too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicnvrstops

Reaction score
I just harvested most of my first year Cascase crop and am looking for a little advice.

The pick yielded about 5 ounces, which I'm fine with considering how low my expectations were. My plan was to wait until the cones were papery with slightly browned tips. But... I'm worried I may have waited to long. Quite a few of the cones were more brown than I would have liked.

Does anyone out there know if these cones are too brown? As much as I'd love to use my fresh hops, I don't want to ruin a perfectly good batch of homebrew.

hop-harvest-1.jpg

hop-harvest-2.jpg

hop-harvest-3.jpg

They look great to me. I think you want them to be semi dry and papery.

Better than too early. I'd use em. lol :rockin:

They don't look bad at all, and if they smell nice and hoppy (and not oniony, garlicky or bad cheesey) they're just fine!

Cheers!

Yep, my first season of grow and they were just getting there to. I wanted to see if I could get them dryish on the vine, and smell killer. I've added to the Wart when I was picking them off the vine. Man the smell was :mug::mug:

I'm lazy and mine usually look like that by the time I get around to picking them. They'll be fine.

Just when I thought I had it all figured out, my second year Cascade hops are putting out non aromatic cones. I had a first harvest months ago. I picked them because the lupulin looked "school bus/yield sign yellow" like the guy from Gorst Valley hops said on basic brewing radio. I ignored the fact that there was barely any smell thinking it might come out when they dry and it would be better than over aged hops. Big mistake! Now I have some new ones that came in and they have been on the bine for about 2 months... Which is over the 5 weeks to maturation I have read about but they still doesn't have much fragrance.

Has anyone had this happen, that the hops are not aromatic? My first year harvest was plenty aromatic!

Latest posts

Back