Is there a dry yeast equivalent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elgee

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone knows, but is there a dry yeast equivalent to Wyeast Belgian Ardennes (3522) Yeast? I want to make a Belgian brew with this yeast, but want to try with dry yeast because I mail order the ingredients, and have had bad luck with liquid yeast when it is shipped. Any advice would be great on this yeast. The dry yeast would need to be able to ferment a 8-8.5% abv.

T-58 does a decent job with most Belgian styles. It's more peppery/clovey than Ardennes. It's my "house" Belgian strain, though I use Ardennes from time to time. Ferment it low (60*-ish)for cloves, higher for solvent/peppery flavors.

I have used that one in the past, but not sure how well it works with high abv?

There has to be somewhere local (within 30mi of Stamford) where you can get liquid yeast, you're not in the boonies. Even here in Syracuse we have 4 brew shops, one of which is excellent and has every yeast strain I've ever looked for. I would be surprised if there wasn't a LBS with a full selection.

I used to live in Ireland and had to mail order yeast. For liquid yeast I always ordered during weeks where the high was in the 50s or so to make sure it arrived in good shape, so if you wait until october to order you'll have better luck.

The data sheet from Safale says T-58 has "Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5%."

I love T-58, particularly in wits. It can produce a quite different profiles at the ends of its' temperature range and at different pitching rates. Its a fast and vigorous yeast, as well.

Latest posts

Back