Airlock Question with Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dycokac

Reaction score
Making my first Apfelwein/non beer and I'm following Ed's recipie to the T.

Question is how often will I have to refill the Airlock? it's been about an hour with everything combined in my carboy and i've replaced atleast half the contents of the airlock already, it's oozing into the carboy.

Is this a phase or can I expect a daily refill of the airlock?

Vigorous action the first week will require adding a bit of vodka to the airlock a couple times, after that, check it every couple of weeks for evaporation.

EdWort said:
Vigorous action the first week will require adding a bit of vodka to the airlock a couple times, after that, check it every couple of weeks for evaporation.

Thanks Ed! :ban:

Just checked again, about 3.5 hours down and the yeast dance is just starting.

Now to wait 4 weeks :(

Also, as the directions say I dont have to do anything else different for bottle conditioning this than I do to bottle condition my beer? (got my first dunkel weizen in the primary going on 2 weeks:rockin: )

Yep. 3/4 cup of Dextrose should do the job. Now all you need is patience.

When you get bored, start another batch. You'll thank me later. :D

And another, and another...

I'm trying to build up the equipment for a batch every week... can't seem to keep any in stock around here... every day one friend or another calls to see if I have any more...:tank:

I really need to start kegging... :rockin:

how clear do I want to let this get before I bottle? I'm quickly approacing the 4 week mark and it is starting to settle out.

Do I want to wait till I can see all the way through the carboy?

I guess the best thing to do is get myself a wine thief so i can tell where the gravity is and i'll need one anyway since i'm going to start fermenting in carboys :)

Dycokac said:
how clear do I want to let this get before I bottle? I'm quickly approacing the 4 week mark and it is starting to settle out.

Do I want to wait till I can see all the way through the carboy?

I guess the best thing to do is get myself a wine thief so i can tell where the gravity is and i'll need one anyway since i'm going to start fermenting in carboys :)

the scientific answer is 'when you take several SG readings over the course of a few days, and the SG does not change'... but 'round here, we just wait til it's clear... hold a newspaper up to the other side of the carboy, if you can read the print, yer good to go... :tank:

Adolphus79 said:
the scientific answer is 'when you take several SG readings over the course of a few days, and the SG does not change'... but 'round here, we just wait til it's clear... hold a newspaper up to the other side of the carboy, if you can read the print, yer good to go... :tank:

yeah, a fixed gravity reading and a clear product arn't always the same thing are they?

now that you saythat though I do remember reading that once you can read through it it's bottling time :)

I used pretty settled cider, and it took about 4 weeks to get clear, then I left it in the carboy for another three weeks and it got crystal clear. It's got a great look to it in the carboy. Bottled it last night, and BOY is it dry. Doesn't taste like much of anything, but I had just one during bottling and I decided I was unfit to drive.

Crazytwoknobs said:
I used pretty settled cider, and it took about 4 weeks to get clear, then I left it in the carboy for another three weeks and it got crystal clear. It's got a great look to it in the carboy. Bottled it last night, and BOY is it dry. Doesn't taste like much of anything, but I had just one during bottling and I decided I was unfit to drive.

I know that feeling... the Monday (Monday=Brewday) that I transfered M004 into bulk storage, I also transfered a batch of Apfelwein into secondary... I drank 2 hydro test jars (one of each), and had the Drunk By Noon award that day... 2 punk rock points for me... :ban:

I used 100% juce un pasturized and no absorbic acid. My reading on saturday was about .998.

It kind of reminded me of Strongbow, and my wife thought a piesporter.

I'm more excited about this now, I even plan to dedicate this carboy to the recipe :ban:

Dycokac said:
I used 100% juce un pasturized and no absorbic acid. My reading on saturday was about .998.

It kind of reminded me of Strongbow, and my wife thought a piesporter.

I'm more excited about this now, I even plan to dedicate this carboy to the recipe :ban:

quite a lot of people have done that... me too... I've got one bucket and one carboy dedicated to apfelwein...

Back