Dogfish 90 minute clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbr2547

Reaction score
I was hoping someone could help me identify an issue with my recent dfh 90 clone. Smells great, good head and tastes good initially, however, a harsh aftertaste. Has anyone had this problem? Will aging mellow harse aftertaste? It's two weeks bottle conditioned at this point

Thanks in advance

Two weeks is not very long... I would suggest at least another 2 before rendering judgement. It could still be "green" or could have astringency issues depending on your brewing temps.

Please post the recipe and method you used to make it...

Spunkmeyer said:
Two weeks is not very long... I would suggest at least another 2 before rendering judgement. It could still be "green" or could have astringency issues depending on your brewing temps.

Please post the recipe and method you used to make it...

Thanks - it's a mini mash as follows:

2.75lbs pale malt
5oz 40l crystal malt

Mash in 1 gallon 151 degree water for 60 min
Spathe with 1.5 gallons at 168 degrees

Add water to 2.5 gallons total volume and bring to a boil and add dme
Add buttering hops

Add water to 4 gallons total boil for 30 hen add 1/2 oz centennial

Boil for 15 and add 1/2 oz cascade and 1 tsp Irish moss
Boil for 5 then add 1/2 centennial
Boil for 5 then add1/2 Columbus
Boil 4 then add 1/2 centennial
Boil 1 then add 1/2 cascade

Ferment in primary 68-72 for 2 weeks

Rack in secondary for 2 weeks dry hopping with
1 oz cascade
1/2 oz centennial
1/2 oz Columbus

I need to double check amount of dme

I think my fermentation may have gotten to 74 or 75 - would that ruin?

Thanks - it's a mini mash as follows:

2.75lbs pale malt
5oz 40l crystal malt

Mash in 1 gallon 151 degree water for 60 min
Spathe with 1.5 gallons at 168 degrees

Add water to 2.5 gallons total volume and bring to a boil and add dme
Add buttering hops

Add water to 4 gallons total boil for 30 hen add 1/2 oz centennial

Boil for 15 and add 1/2 oz cascade and 1 tsp Irish moss
Boil for 5 then add 1/2 centennial
Boil for 5 then add1/2 Columbus
Boil 4 then add 1/2 centennial
Boil 1 then add 1/2 cascade

Ferment in primary 68-72 for 2 weeks

Rack in secondary for 2 weeks dry hopping with
1 oz cascade
1/2 oz centennial
1/2 oz Columbus

I need to double check amount of dme

I think my fermentation may have gotten to 74 or 75 - would that ruin?

Your fermentation temp may be the cause. Also, looking at your recipe, it doesn't look like a 90 minute clone at all. Not saying it's not a good recipe though. DFH uses completely different hops and a special amber malt. What yeast did you use?

Thanks so much. It was a kit put together from my LBS in CT. The yeast was Wyeast 1056 american ale yeast. I've only brewed for a few months and really enjoy. Hopefully it's only green.

I really appreciate the info and response - thanks

hbr2547 said:
Thanks so much. It was a kit put together from my LBS in CT. The yeast was Wyeast 1056 american ale yeast. I've only brewed for a few months and really enjoy. Hopefully it's only green.

I really appreciate the info and response - thanks

Could it be possibly phenol? I looked up online and can't stop thinking that it tastes medicinal / bleach. This won't solve with time, correct? Should dump I suppose?

Could it be possibly phenol? I looked up online and can't stop thinking that it tastes medicinal / bleach. This won't solve with time, correct? Should dump I suppose?

It's only been two weeks... give it at least another 2-4 weeks before doing something so drastic.

Many of us here leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, and in bottles for 3-4 weeks, as a rule. Patience!

Spunkmeyer said:
It's only been two weeks... give it at least another 2-4 weeks before doing something so drastic.

Many of us here leave our beers in primary for 3-4 weeks, and in bottles for 3-4 weeks, as a rule. Patience!

Brewed again - all grain and new recipe. Second week in primary then onto secondary for dry hopping!!! Hoping I have more luck with this brew then the last,

Back