Cold crashing a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I understand that the most floculant yeast will drop out first. I believe that good beer is produced by selecting the least floculant cells within the culture to ensure they keep working until the job is finished, and I understand that no amount of time will drop out ALL the yeast cells, or we would never have any yeast cells to carb our beer:mug:.

Question: just began making starters. Once starter fermentation is complete, I plan to put it into the frige, then decant and pitch the slurry. How long should I allow for refrigerating once the starter completes fermentation in order to ensure I have a healthy crop of the least floculant yeast at the bottom of the container?

I'm not sure which cells are more healthy, but I put my starters in the fridge for about 24 hours. That seems to be plenty of time to get a nice compact cake and avoid pouring off much yeast while decanting.

24 hours does a decent job, but I usually chill mine for 3-7 days depending on schedule and by the end of a week the starter wort is crystal clear, while after 1 day not so much.

Back