shelf life of a cultured dregs starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
Ok - I know there are a lot of threads on both yeast washing and dreg culturing, but I haven't found anything that answers this question(plus a lot of those threads are so long I'd have to quit my job to actually have time to read through all of them). I have a starter that I made from the dregs of a bottle of Jolly Pumkin, and have stepped it up a few times over the last 2 weeks. My problem is that I won't be able to use them for at least another few weeks. What is my best course of action for preserving this stuff? Should I decant the excess liquid and wash the yeast just like I would out of a fermenter, or will I be OK just putting the whole thing as-is into the fridge until I am ready to use it? Or should I not put it in the fridge at all and just keep feeding it? I have never let a starter sit this long before using it but I really don't want to waste those magical JP dregs.

Fridge for sure. Cover it with foil and let it sit until you need to use it. When the time comes you can decant it and pitch it into a new starter.

Back