Other grains needed in this IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
I'm going to be making an IPA this weekend using the following recipe:

10lb 2 Row
1 lb carapils

1oz magnum @ 60
1oz cascade @ 30
1oz cascade @ 10
1oz cascade @ 3
1oz cascade @ flameout

If everything goes according to plan, the OG should be 1.066 with 71 IBU.

Could this recipe benefit from the addition of a 1/2 pound to a pound of crystal malt (10 or 20L) or munich? If so, would it do anything for the flavor or would it just add a little color?

Thanks,

-Rob

Some Munich will give it a bit more malt backbone - you could even stand using more than a half pound. My last IPA, that I love, I used I think three pounds, probably more than you need but don't be afraid of it. I'd try at least a pound, maybe two, replacing some of the 2-row.

In addition to some Munich, I'd reduce the carapils to a 1/2 pound and add 4-8 ozs of 20L crystal. IMHO, an IPA needs a little sweetness and maltiness to hold up all that hops flavor/bitterness.

cweston said:
In addition to some Munich, I'd reduce the carapils to a 1/2 pound and add 4-8 ozs of 20L crystal. IMHO, an IPA needs a little sweetness and maltiness to hold up all that hops flavor/bitterness.

Yeah, I'd say some low lov Crystal for caramel notes.

I'll second cutting back the Carapils (I'm not sure you need any). IPA ought to be pretty dry. The low crystal will give some residual body with the sweetness. What temp are you planning to mash at? If you DO want some more body, you can always bump that up a few degrees and get some more unfermentable dextrines in the wort that way.

I definitely agree with the standing responses - reduce the 2 rom to 9 or 9.5 lbs, and add 1 lb. of Munich. (love munich). I'd then probably go with 1 lb. carahell, but I'd also agree w/ the addition of a little crystal or something.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will change it to:

8.5 lb 2 Row
1.5 lb Munich
.5 lb cry 20
.5 lb carapils

I'm planning on mashing at 152-154, if that makes any difference.

robnog said:
Thanks for all the advice. I think I will change it to:

8.5 lb 2 Row
1.5 lb Munich
.5 lb cry 20
.5 lb carapils

I'm planning on mashing at 152-154, if that makes any difference.

Yes, I think it does matter...

Carapils accomplishes two things:

1. it makes a more dextrinous wort (higher FG, "fuller body")
2. it enhances head retention

Mashing at those temperatures will take care of the more dextrinous wort. So in that case I'd eliminate the carapils, and use 4-8 oz flaked wheat instead to enhance head retention.

71 IBUs wow

/drools

maybe try some aromatic to balance it out a bit. definitely no more than 10% though

and drop the carapils to 1/2lb or substitute with wheat like cweston mentioned :)

Back