Couple of Yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yambor44

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a starter on Saturday from a beer I made that finished at 1.062. Is this normal after 2 days? Not much kreusan (sp) and not a lot of yeast in the bottom. It was from a Pac Man Wyeast smack pack.

2nd question - I rehydrated this yeast about 30 minutes before pitching (same beer as mentioned above). Today there is still no activity in the primary. I added another packet just now. I noticed the date. I have had these for about a year. Does the date indicate best to use by 6/2010?

Safale-05: Yeah that's basically an expiration date. 2 packs should do the trick though. Did you keep them refrigerated?

Yes, absolutelyin the fridge.As far as fermentation I use a deep freezer with analog temp controller and keep the ambient in the range of 64-68 degrees usually. I never get a vigorous fermentation and mainly use US-05. I just increased the temp a tad in there to run 66-70 ambient after I added that 2nd pack. I have re-hydrated the yeast twice now and the first time the fermentation was very mild and this time non-existent. I think I am done with that extra step.

I always pitch two packs and always rehydrate and aerate with O2 for 2 mins or so. Have never had a problem.

Now comments on the Pac Man starter? Guess it doesn't really matter as I am going to pitch it tonight when I get done with my Rogue Dead Guy Ale but wanted to know what to expect or maybe where I went wrong.

No comment on the yeast, but how does the Bose Wave sound???
OK 1 comment.
I use S-05 and stopped hydrating..it still makes beer maybe 2 or 3 hours later!

Back