Corona mill + electric drill. how?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crypt0

Reaction score
Sorry for such a newbish question.

I picked up a cheap corona grain mill and also got a great little dewalt drill for christmas. I notice a lot of people have their mills setup with a drill and am hoping to do the same.

How have you done it? Is there a certain size chuck I need? My mill handle is threaded (It's a Victorian).

you have to find some way of driving it - usallly a bolt of the right size. go find the Corona ugly thread - tons of info.

I don't use a Corona mill but I imagine they're all pretty similar. What we were able to do was just unscrew the crank handle and then found a bolt at the local hardware store that had a allen wrench head and just bought a little allen wrench bit for the drill. These aren't the bolts were using, but just an example I found on google.

Just make sure you get the same type of thread and make sure you're not driving the mill faster than it's supposed to go.

allen_bolt.jpg

It's metric. Close to 5/16", but metric. Take your handle bolt to the hardware store and get the correct sized bolt, then drive it with a drill and a nut driver attachment. I have much better success with my corded drill. My high-end portable drill is no match for my cheap corded drill...

There's pictures of the shaft end of coronas in my thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Mine came with a shaft already put on the back where the handle used to be, as you can see it is just a piece of metal rod. Many folks use a threaded rod instead, and I would highly recommend it as you will have more grip for your drill shank to attach to it.

Threaded Rod. Go into a hardware store. Pull dollar out of pocket. Buy rod.

I went this route as well and got me a metric bolt and cut off the head.
Theoretically it should work fine, but in my case, my drill was not all that strong, and couldn't handle the workload. I nearly burned it up. I have reverted back to using the handle until I get a better drill.

Back