What the hell happened to my Wit ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
I put a Wit in the keg a few weeks ago. I think it was 5-6 weeks ago - anyway, I have kind of been into this other beer that I made so I've been mostly drinking it and just tonight got around to drinking some of the Wit.

Something must have gone wrong because its turned a god-awful grey color - almost greenish brown.

It looks completely ****ed up and disgusting.

It didn't taste awful though, just more yeasty than I remember it tasting when I kegged it.

Any idea what happened ?

Its not undrinkable, but I'm seriously contemplating dumping my first beer.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here is a picture I took of this beer 4-5 days after I kegged it.

My beer is on the left I think, Blue Moon is on the right ? Maybe its the other way around - not sure, anyway thats not whats important.

I'll find my camera and take a picture of it now and you can see now it looks ****ing hideous.

Picture 021-R.jpg

Its a wit in a keg, so has yeast in suspension? The yeast, even in a wit, will eventually settle to the bottom of the keg. In fact, some breweries request that their kegs be stored upside down. That way, the yeast settles to the top of the keg. Then, when it is time for it to be tapped, the keg is turned over and the yeast mixes back in suspension in the beer.

Anyway, probably in the weeks the keg was sitting there, all the yeast simply settled to the bottom. I bet if you take a couple draws, you'll suck all the yeast out and the beer will look clearer than you remember. (Cause it isn't in suspension anymore.)

Or, you could untap the keg and gently rock it back and forth a bit and the yeast will go back into suspension. Then it should look like you remember.

So you think because the yeast settled to the bottom over the last few weeks that I'm getting extra yeast in the beer now ? And thats why its foul colored and super-yeasty ?

Sorry, I really wanted to take a picture of how it looks now but the camera batteries need charging so it will have to wait.

So you think because the yeast settled to the bottom over the last few weeks that I'm getting extra yeast in the beer now ? And thats why its foul colored and super-yeasty ?

Sorry, I really wanted to take a picture of how it looks now but the camera batteries need charging so it will have to wait.
You are correect...too much yeast concentrateing on the bottom.

This is the sole purpose why I do secondaries for HW and Wit beers...to reduce the amount of yeast in the keg/bottle.

If you let a keg sit for a day or two you need to give it a swift kick on the bottom of the keg to get some of the yeast back into suspension. Works for me.

Yep, sounds like your grey beer is more-so a wit beer flavored yeast Slurry. Draw a couple pints till it clears. It's it's still ghost vomit after 3-4 pints try racking to a clean keg and see if there is a huge yeast cake still in the old one or if the beer is indeed gray all the way through while transferring.

Back