How long is too long in the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I haven't been on here for a while.

I started a Stout in Early March and it is still in the Primary fermenter. Is it too late at this point to save? I had some personal things come up and haven't had time to bottle it.

Just wondering if I should dump it and brew a new batch or if I can save it.

Thanks!
-Matt

Have you tasted it? Unless you mean March of 2007 then I wouldn't expect there to be a problem at this point.

Should be fine. Taste it, if it tastes ok, you're good. You will be able to tell immediatly if have a problem, yeast autolysis (sp?) is some nasty tasting **** apparently.

I wanted to get some input before I tasted. Should I move it to a secondary at this point, or just bottle it up?

Thanks guys!
-Matt

I would bottle it myself but I plan to secondary only beers that I want to dry-hop.

Move to the 2ndary. It should be OK. Jamil Zainashef says in his new book that you can leave beer in the primary 4 weeks. In fact he prefers not to use a secondary at all unless he's lagering.

I'd rack it the secondary and wait ~ 2 weeks. If you sanitzed as directed and kept the temp in relative range for the yeast is not going to be a problem whatsoever.

What you will find once you bottle & carb it up it will be ready to drink rather soon. The green flavor will vanish quickly.

Its no big deal.

:mug:

You don't have to rack, but I would since I like to suck up as much as possibe out of the primary, and inevitably end up with a little trub from the bottom, and would want that to settle out.

I've had ales in the primary for 7 weeks, and the secondary for as long as 7 months with no ill effects.

Back