Did I Ruin My Batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nrmangino7

Reaction score
I just brewed this recipe about a week ago, its an allagash white, or trying to be:

Boil
6.6 lbs. 40% wheat/ 60% barley liquid malt extract (75 minutes)
3/4 oz. Tettnanger (60 minutes)
3/4 oz. Saaz (60 minutes)
1/4 oz. Saaz (flameout)
1/4 oz crushed coriander (flameout)
1/4 oz bitter orange peel (flameout)
Wyeast 3944...ferment at 70 degrees

The problem I am having is this is the first time i am using a wyeast product. And I was unable to see any bubbling over the first week or so to confirm any fermentation.

Another problem is that when I was finished boiling the wort. I put it in my fermentation bucket and I thought my temperature was between 70-80 or so but soon after I added the wyeast 3944, the temperature rose due to whatever reason( i thought my wort had cooled down but i hadn't gave it chance to mix up(rookie mistake i am fairly new at brewing).

So just transferred to the secondary and I am just wondering if there is any way to tell if my beer is ruined and I should try again?

I did take an initial gravity reading and I took a reading when i just transferred. But i am not quiet sure what the readings mean and what to do with the readings.

any help for this rookie would be awesome

What was your original gravity and your gravity when you transferred?? I leave all my beers in the primary for about 3 weeks. I only secondary if I have a fruit addition. Keeping it on the yeast helps clean up most off flavors produced by fermentation.

Bubbling means little. We will need those gravity numbers as well as the temps at which you took the readings (unless you already temperature corrected them).

Also, just out of curiosity, why did you boil for 75min if your hop additions were at 60 min?

Back