portuguese floor corker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've have the portuguese floor corker for about 7 years. I like it alot, and have loaned it to multiple people. For bottling more than a few bottles at a time, I think a floor corker is criticial, and it's lots cheaper than the Italian model.

did you modify it in any way? and from what i've read are the bottles hard to remove?

did you modify it in any way? and from what i've read are the bottles hard to remove?

There is no need to modify it to cork wine bottles and they come right out.
To cork belgians, you need to install a drilled stopper on the plunger to limit travel and the corks (not the bottles) stick in the jaws. You need a stick of some sort to push the bottles out.

amandabab said:
There is no need to modify it to cork wine bottles and they come right out.
To cork belgians, you need to install a drilled stopper on the plunger to limit travel and the corks (not the bottles) stick in the jaws. You need a stick of some sort to push the bottles out.

You actually don't need to push the bottles out, you just need to make use of the spring plate to give the bottles a good push to get them off the jaws. I did all these a couple weeks ago and only tore a couple corks slightly.

Portuguese corker works great, but I kind of wish I had gone with the Ferrari only because of the crown cap adaptor. I'd rather have 1 piece of equipment than two if I can help if, even if it is a little pricier. It will last a lifetime either way so may as well get the good stuff.

image-2975702783.jpg

image-417999112.jpg

The only "adaptation" I made is sort of silly, but it works so I'll share it.

In order to cork short bottles, like 375 ml size, adding a hockey puck to the bottom and putting the short bottles on that is needed. Otherwise, the corker doesn't "reach" the bottle. So, put a hockey puck on the bottom, and the bottle on top of that, and the resulting cork depth is perfect.

Thanks for the tip Yoop! I've got a bunch of RR sour bottles I will be using, and that sounds perfect. Unlike you I don't have hockey pucks laying around, so I'll be shopping ebay ;)

TyTanium said:
Nice pictures bottlebomber...what's in 'em?

Cider, Cyser. I'm going to do a few cases of Saison and I've got 15 gallons of sour to bottle in the coming months too. It's a long day but they results are nice.

Fellow Brewers,
I'm planning to purchase either the Portuguese or the Italian floor corker. But I need to operate it one-handed.

If you own ether one, would you please tell me if you can successfully cork bottles one-handed?

I'm leaning towards the Portuguese model because it appears to have drilled feet for mounting securely. The Italian doesn't seem to have those. My decision will be based on stability and ease of use, not price.

Thanks for your help!

I have a Portuguese and the bottom plate has a spring that holds the bottle against the top, so yes you could bottle with one hand. Might just be a little bit difficult removing the bottle if using Belgian corks but doable.

I have an i-dont-know-what-kind of floor corker, but it's like both the Portuguese and Italian, and can be used one-handed. The bottle plate is spring loaded, the lever can be pulled with one hand, and I occasionally just use a foot on the leg to stabilize it just so it doesn't accidentally wobble.

After a search I would say this is the one I have:
http://grapestoglass.com/shop/bottling/floor-corker-red-italian-style/

This is the one I have. Works great. Like stpug mentions. The plate that holds the bottle is spring loaded and you can step on the leg to stabilize it. It has a depth adjustment for doing Belgians. Perfect and very easy to use.

image.jpg

Back