American Wheat Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
6.25 lbs pale malt
4 lbs white wheat
1 lb vienna
1lb rice hulls

4.5 gals mash water, 5 gal sparge water

Thinking of using this water profile
ca = 50
mg = 10
na = 5
sulfate = 55
cl = 45
bicarbonate = 65

Should be good for middle of the road yellow beer. Anyone have a profile that they use to compare?

A pound of rice hulls would be silly. Likely you'll be ok with zero, but if you need to feel like you have the same amount of filter material as an all-barley mash, you'd want to add hulls at a rate about 6% of the wheat's weight, about 4oz. I've mashed 60%+ wheat grists with no added hulls and had no problems lautering.

Wheat tends to settle at a higher pH than barley base malts. Some acid or acid malt would take care of that.

I usually just toss in a handful, guess since I had to buy a pound of them today it was stuck in my brain. lol

I wouldn't bother with the magnesium unless its already in your water or you are looking to accentuate the bittering perception a bit. But 10 ppm is not going to provide much impact on flavor in any case.

The relatively low mineralization is what is important. That profile leaves the water with low mineralization.

Latest posts

Back