Blichmann Top Tier Stand Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so my new Top Tier stand arrived today in 5, relatively heavy boxes. My weekend project will be assembling this beast.

Does anyone have any advice for assembling this rig?

Second, I know I will have to provide the pipe for the gas manifold. I am used to using black iron pipe and the thick yellow teflon tape. However the man at the big box store told me that galvanized pipe is interchangeable and is rated for LP and natural gas use and can be used with black iron pipe fittings. Anyone know the truth about this?

Thanks

Yeah it takes a while to build. I think it took me the best part of a day, including a trip to Lowes for the pipe. As for tips...

- Figure out your configuration before you start. Nothing worse than lifting those heavy burners on and off.

- I picked up a torque wrench from Sears for about $25. That worked great with ensuring the bolts aren't over tightened.

- You really need a helper when installing the burners. I did it myself, but it was a struggle and my muscles were aching the following day.

- I used teflon tape (I thought it was the gas rated stuff) and it caught on fire the first time I fired it up. I then immediately removed it all and it has been working fine for the past 6+ months.

I picked up the pipe which the instructions recommended. Don't recall exactly what it is - black pipe? Lowes had various lengths available, so I did not need one custom cut.

Use black pipe, galvanized is used mainly of water lines and a few other applications but not meant for gas, it will corrode. Don't use tape, get the yellow gas paste that comes in a bottle with the applicator, don't have a bottle in front of me right now but think oatley makes it.. Good luck

Took me a full weekend to get it the way I wanted it. There is a YouTube video that gives some tips on putting it together.
I just used the black iron pipe, lowes had every thing I needed.

Very happy with mine.

Make sure it fits through the door! I measured just about everything before I purchased except for the doorway to my patio! I put it all together in my back room and now I have to take everything off of it to get it out back. Plus now I have to store it on my patio and use tarps to cover it. *face palm*

Good advice on the teflon tape. I'll be sure to remove it before I fire it up for the first time :) Do you think it's safe to use without any extra sealant?

Just use the yellow gas rated teflon tape. Never heard about galvanized pipe corroding with gas usage (it does with chlorinated water though), but I figure its not going to be used constantly so it'll be fine.

Took me a full weekend to get it the way I wanted it. There is a YouTube video that gives some tips on putting it together.
I just used the black iron pipe, lowes had every thing I needed.

Very happy with mine.

Do you have the link?

Here's the link to the Blichmann Top Tier Instructional video, it was very helpfull:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back