In middle of mash. Can I boil wort with chiller in it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
It's kind of a newb question, but please help as I'm nearing the end of my mash. Can I boil the wort with the copper coil chiller in it? Thanks.

What's the shortest amount of time you can boil with the IC in the wort? Can you do a 2-5 minute boil time and still be just as safe? How about immersing the IC in StarSan while you're cooking, then going directly into the wort (letting excess drip off the IC for a couple of moments/15-30 seconds)?

What's the shortest amount of time you can boil with the IC in the wort? Can you do a 2-5 minute boil time and still be just as safe? How about immersing the IC in StarSan while you're cooking, then going directly into the wort (letting excess drip off the IC for a couple of moments/15-30 seconds)?

I usually boil my IC for 5-10 minutes. I would suggest not using StarSan on the IC. StarSan is rather corrosive towards copper. I used it once on my IC and it left a yellow slimey film in the water I used to clean off the IC in. I wouldn't want that in my beer.

I usually boil my IC for 5-10 minutes. I would suggest not using StarSan on the IC. StarSan is rather corrosive towards copper. I used it once on my IC and it left a yellow slimey film in the water I used to clean off the IC in. I wouldn't want that in my beer.

I'll have to do a dry run of my IC, with it's lines, to make sure it will be ok for a ~5 minute immersion in the boiling wort. I do have enough tubing to make sure I can lift it high enough to not dip to the pot edge.

Latest posts

Back