tasted first beer!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsbrew

Reaction score
midwest supplies (autamn amber ale) brewed on 12-7-10 racked to secondary on 12-16-10 bottled on 12-20-10 and tried one today 12-26-10..plenty of carbanation good taste but had a small backround off flavor,maybe one more week?

I have a couple of brews under my belt now and it seems they have all gotten better over time. My last IPA didn't start tasting really good until four weeks after bottling. Patience is a good virtue when brewing beer.

Whoa, I brewed the same beer on the 6th, bottled the 20th. I'm not getting any off flavors. I tried one on Christmas, it was fantastic. Malty flavor with subtle hops flavor to balance. Very smooth, delicious ale, but I'm going to let them be in the bottles for 2 weeks after bottling. I hope time fixes that off flavor. Enjoy!

I did the same brew with the same off taste...been bottled 3 weeks now and if anything the off taste is getting stronger. Hard to say what it is, it just isnt quite right. Im hoping time fixes it as well.

Sanitized with star san......did not boil the grains but maybe got a little high on steep temp....maybe thats it.

I brewed my first beer on 11/10/10. 12 days in Primary and bottled immediately after. It's flavor profile changes almost daily honestly. It gets better by the day.

midwest supplies (autamn amber ale) brewed on 12-7-10 racked to secondary on 12-16-10 bottled on 12-20-10 and tried one today 12-26-10..plenty of carbanation good taste but had a small backround off flavor,maybe one more week?

This will be my first beer. Got it with my equipment for Christmas. What yeast are you using? I was planning to leave mine in the fermenting bucket for 3 weeks and then bottle since I don't have a secondary. I just have the dry yeast.

I used the dry yeast that came with the kit. 1 week in primary,1 week in secondary, bottled for 3 weeks so far.

I used 2 capfuls of bleach in dishwasher to sanatise my bottles hope thats not the problem,i let it go through 2 rinse cycles and 2 heat cycles

that was the first beer I brewed. Needed to age two weeks before it tasted right. Took longer than that- another week or two- to taste good.

Let it sit. It'll get better.

Also, how familiar are you with ales? If you're new to homebrewed beer then it's possible that your off flavor is normal.

I've always needed two weeks minimum in the bottles. My first summer ale was good for a first beer, but not great. I had one again a few days ago and it was much better.

I tried onother one last night and it tasted just like tap room 21 amber ale so you guys are right its getting better

I did a cream ale in September and found that it really got good tasting in late November and early December. While it might still have improved, I can't prove that because it's gone. From my experience with that and a porter that I brewed at about the same time that didn't mature until after Christmas, I'd say let it have lots of time to mature.

first beer i made too, i used the wyeast smack pack on it, bottled it for roughly two weeks and it was a huge hit, i've got two bottles that i set away to age for a while, been about a year now, i guess nows the time to hope i didn't oxidize it too badly

Back