High Gravity Baltic Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How's this going to come out?

• Excellent

• Good

• Bad

• Not going to be a porter at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

aroland8517

Reaction score
High Gravity Baltic Porter (Extract & Steeped Grain)

Recipe Volume: 5 gallons
Boil Volume: 3 gallons

Yeast:
WLP099 - Super High Gravity Yeast

Malts:
Muntons Dry Amber Malt Extract - 5.0 lbs.
Briess Liquid Munich Malt Extract - 6.0 lbs. (@ Knockout)
Crystal Malt (80 L) - 0.5 lbs. (Steeped 30 min. @ 160 F)
Black Patent Malt - 0.5 lbs. (Steeped 30 min. @ 160 F)
Chocolate Malt (350 L) - 0.5 lbs. (Steeped 30 min. @ 160 F)
CaraAroma Malt (120 L) - 0.5 lbs. (Steeped 30 min. @ 160 F)

Hops:
Perle - 2.0 oz - 8.5% - 60 min.
Mt. Hood - 0.5 oz - 5% - 20 min.
Mt. Hood - 0.5 oz - 5% - 5 min.

Calculated Boil Gravity (3 gal.): 1.081
Calculated Original Gravity (5 gal.): 1.091
Measured Original Gravity (5.5 gal.): 1.080
Calculated IBUs: 50

Fermentation Schedule:
Primary: 2-3 weeks @ 70 F
Secondary: 2 weeks @ 70 F

Brewed this one today. I'm hoping to get a nice strong porter with about 9% ABV. Added 0.5 gal extra to the primary fermenter to get the yeast to comfortably get active with a lower OG, this extra amount will probably get lost in the transfer to the secondary. This is my first batch using the WLP099 yeast, so I'm not quite sure about the fermentation schedule. Hopefully I can get the gravity down to about 1.010 by the time I transfer off the trub, but I'll keep you all updated.
:ban:

i think the recipe data base is for tried and proven recipes only, and should be in the recipe/ingredients section untill then.

but i like the idea of each thread in the database being a poll, and after someone tries the recipe, they anonymously rate it

Transfered beer to secondary fermenter tonight after 14 days in the primary. Beer tasted good/strong. Didn't get the gravity measured as I broke my hydrometer while sanitizing it looks like I'll have to get it before I bottle.

Bottled the beer today after 38 days of fermentation (14 primary, 24 secondary). Filled (2) 64 oz. growlers and (32) 16 oz. bottles with the stuff. Primed batch with 4 oz. cane sugar. The final gravity before bottling was 1.007, which makes the beer about 9% ABV (exactly where I wanted it). It tastes delicious. I plan on letting it condition for at least a month before tasting one.

oops, posted before I could say that I would probably pitch onto a WLP007 yeast cake rather than use 099, mostly because I like 007, but I'd like to hear what you think about the 099.

Don't leave us hanging now...was it good after proper aging? What would you change?

Sorry to leave this one hanging. Had a pretty busy summer and simply neglected to get the update in. Here's how it went.
Frickin' Great!
This one came out really good. Just where I wanted it taste and strength wise. Great dry aftertaste without any of that twingy lingering taste I had been getting slightly with my previous batches. I have pretty soft water at house and I think this really helped the hoppyness come through very nicely on this one.
I opened the first one after a month in the bottles and it was still a little young. After a solid two months they really smoothed out and carbonated something delicious.
I like the suggestion to pitch onto a proven yeast cake, but I was pleasantly surprised by the 099. It created a pretty smooth and flavorful beer (slight fruit notes) for being such a heavy duty yeast strain. I guess was expecting a much rougher flavor.
This is definitely a recipe I plan on coming back to in the future (maybe re-visit it as an all-grain recipe :eek:). Great batch, just don't plan on driving after having some as they have quite a punch.

Back