Bubbly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnyb73

Reaction score
another dumb question I guess!
I did a Hydro reading after threee days just to check and see how things were going. reading seems to be going well but I noticed that the beer was carbonated in the test tube. Is this normal? Does it mean it's still fermenting?
My air lock never bubbled, but the water levels in the lock did go uneven.
It tasted like beer though!:drunk:

There'll be some carbonation going on in beer when it has finished fermentation even when 'flat', just not enough to make it fizzy as excess will just dissipate into the air. Maybe it just got released by the disturbance of you dipping in to take a sample, or it warming up in a different room etc etc?

My airlock did that too on one of my batches. What I finally found out was that the airlock got "stuck". The breather valve in the middle was cocked off to one side wedging itself in there somehow. I pushed down on the top of the bucket and "blamo", an audible pop along with a spray of water. Within an hour the airlock was bubbling like mad. I didn't think it was possible for one of these to stick, but from my experience I guess it is possible.

yep, anything fermented will have some CO2 in solution. several bottle priming calculators will take this into account (where it asks the temperature of your finished beer at bottling time, to estimate how many CO2 volumes are present)

its not enough CO2 to really notice on the tongue, usually, so it'll taste flat.

Thanks for the consolation!!!
Coopers says to ferment for 6 to 10 days, should I keep it in the fermentor for a full 2 weeks? Will this make a difference to my brew?

Yep it will. aalso take a note that the fermentation process has other limits such as temperature. Greater than 27C kills the yeast less and than 15C results in yeast activity which is too slow.

Latest posts

Back