Case of Sam Adams "Summer Ale" disappointment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcm1613

Reaction score
I went to Ruby Tuesdays today and had a Sam Adams "Summer Ale" with lunch. First time I have ever tried it and this instantly became one of my favorite beers. I could not get over how fresh it tasted, the hops, spice and a hint of fresh lemon. It was just so distinct and all the flavors stood on their own. Its like you could almost pick them out of each sip.

Instantly I was thinking of brewing a clone and got all excited about this wonderful new brew. I even went to the grocery store and bought a case of it, which is WAY unusual for me to do.

Well...thats where things went into the crapper.

I never expect a bottled beer to taste 100% equal to its Keg'd equivalent. However, this bottled product tastes NOTHING like the beer we were served at Ruby Tuesdays. This is just a run of the mill ale with what tastes like lemon might be lurking in it somewhere. I was so disappointed. :mad:

I am going to Homebrew this and revive that great taste I enjoyed today.

Anyone else had this experience with the SA Summer Ale?

-J

I do find that the draft version is better but I have never found the bottled version to be 100% different. Perhaps you got a very fresh draft serving and I have never had it at its freshest. I tried making a clone of it but it didn't exactly turn out as I had hoped needed more lemon zest to brighten it. The recipe is on my other computers otherwise I would send it your way to at least have something to look at. I'll try to remember for tomorrow. What I do remember or sort of recall......

Maybe 30% wheat
Lots of lemon zest at flame out
I used two packets of lemon zest which I think was 4grams and far under what my recipe called for. They are so F*&^ing expensive and I can't see Sammy Adams using as much as the recipe called for.

That's all I can remember but I'll find the recipe tomorrow..... I stole it from somewhere.

I guess I lied. I just got the recipe I followed. Mind you I didn't have a scale at the time so I had to guess the weight of the lemon zest and hops...... I know. :eek: Also my efficiency was absolutely horendous (45%).

8# pale malt UK
6# wheat malt Ger
1# flaked wheat
8oz cara-Pils/Dextrine

1.17oz crystal 45min
0.58oz crystal 5min
0.25oz sweet orange peel 5min
1oz Lemon zest 5min
4grams grains of paradise 5min

Belgian Wit Ale WLP 400

Like I said who know how close I was on my recipe cause I couldn't weigh anything. I also lost where the link for the recipe I got but it's around somewhere on the web. Hope it gives you something to tinker with.

You also have to understand that the human tongue can play many tricks on us. What you had for lunch will effect the taste of what you drink. An IPA with hot wings is a treat.....with ice cream...not so. Give it a couple of days and try the SA again. While it won't taste exactly like the tap.....it's not that far off either.

expensive packets of lemon zest? Couldn't you spend $1.00 and get a bag of lemons and zest them yourself? or is this something different?

See, I had it on draft the other day, and it was very meh. But usually I enjoy it. YMMV

I zested the lemons myself. Used a very fine cheese grater to try to only get the yellow rhine (zest) and not the more bitter white stuff. I think I used about 6 lemons but again I don't know the weight of the zest that it provided for me.

I never expect a bottled beer to taste 100% equal to its Keg'd equivalent. However, this bottled product tastes NOTHING like the beer we were served at Ruby Tuesdays. This is just a run of the mill ale with what tastes like lemon might be lurking in it somewhere. I was so disappointed. :mad:

I recently had the same thing happen with an old favorite. I used to frequent the Gordon Biersch in San Francisco all the time for lunch and fell in love with their Marzen! Not having been there for quite along time, I decided to by a sixer from my local store, and when I tasted it, it was awful, pure skunk beer! I am sure I just got a bad sixer, but it really ruins the mood when your looking for that taste you love !

I have never been a real fan of Sam Adams, but the Summer Ale surprised. It was quite refreshing. Your probably better off just ordering it at Ruby Tuesdays.

I guess I lied. I just got the recipe I followed. Mind you I didn't have a scale at the time so I had to guess the weight of the lemon zest and hops...... I know. :eek: Also my efficiency was absolutely horendous (45%).

8# pale malt UK
6# wheat malt Ger
1# flaked wheat
8oz cara-Pils/Dextrine

1.17oz crystal 45min
0.58oz crystal 5min
0.25oz sweet orange peel 5min
1oz Lemon zest 5min
4grams grains of paradise 5min

Belgian Wit Ale WLP 400

Like I said who know how close I was on my recipe cause I couldn't weigh anything. I also lost where the link for the recipe I got but it's around somewhere on the web. Hope it gives you something to tinker with.

I really appreciate you taking the time to post that. I like what you have here although I do think I am gonna up the zest amounts a bit. I'll send you a PM when its done. Thanks again for your time. :mug:

I have found many of Sam Adams' beers to be very picky. Boston Lager is another one. I have boughten it at grocery stores and it tasted disgusting. I had an entire 12 pack taste cidery. Grocery stores don't seem to take as good a care of temperature control, I think. I have also had bad Sam Adams at package/state stores as well. For some reason, they're either really great beer if they're fresh or duds if it's not properly cared for. Of course, that's the same for any beer, but it seems to be the case moreso with Sam Adams for some reason.

Thats what sucks about buying bottles. Once the beer leaves the brewery, they have absolutely no control. It could sit on a loading dock for 2 weeks before it hits your grocery store shelves. Kegs on the other hand are usually shipped promptly in somewhat controlled environments, and handled by a distributor who should know what they are doing.

A distributor is more likely to get a returned keg if they mishandle it. You are much less likely to return beer to a store if it tastes bad (sir, I have a mouse in my beer!)

I had this last night at Applebee's. Best of what they had, sad to say. Anyway, the first few sips were great, but by the end of the glass I had had enough. Once the carb was gone and it warmed up a bit it just tasted like tart flat beer.

I have a pretty good recipe for a similar style beer if interested... Its a real crowd pleaser in my house...

Very simple ag:
10G post boil volume
after ferm u should get about 9 galons total

BHE: 75%
Boil time: 60 mins
IBU: 22.1
SRM:3.7
SG:1.055/13.62 Plato

Grain: Mash at 152-154 for 60 mins and sparge regularly: (I batch sparge so I collect the runnings and then hit it with 168*f h20)

12# Pale American 2 row
8# American Wheat

Hops:

1.5oz Tett 4.5%AA 60 Mins
1.25oz Hallertauer 4%AA 15 Mins
1.5oz Tett 4.5%AA 5 Minutes

Extras:

Irish Moss: added at 15 minutes
Corriander seeds crushed: .5oz 5 minutes

Lemon Zest: from 3 lemons/ soak in 2oz of vodka 1 minute
Lemon Juice from 2 of the lemons 1 minute
Yeast: US-05 or 1056... I actually used both in the fermenter this time and it came out great...

Alot of people say they want their wit's to be cloudy... The Whirfloc or Irish Moss can be left out but I have to say that its a great thing to have all that taste and a nice clarity to it.

I recently had the same thing happen with an old favorite. I used to frequent the Gordon Biersch in San Francisco all the time for lunch and fell in love with their Marzen! Not having been there for quite along time, I decided to by a sixer from my local store, and when I tasted it, it was awful, pure skunk beer! I am sure I just got a bad sixer, but it really ruins the mood when your looking for that taste you love !

That beer was the first beer I ever enjoyed. After tasting the first one, my eyes opened wide, and I believe I said, "Wow, this is actually a good beer!"

Back