Every Asian Beer I've Had Was Good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Actually, I can't remember any asian beer I've had, but that's not saying they were bad. I just can't remember anything about them. I just was tired of the other thread in this topic and I thought I'd post this one.

I suppose most asian beers have a lot of rice in them? Do they grow barley in most asian countries?

Depends what you mean by Asia? I've been to Southern India and regularly drank ice cold Kingfisher and it was good!!! It's commercially available in the UK in Supermarkets and Curry Houses (probably brewed under licence by someone else) and it's rubbish in UK bottles. Maybe it was just the sunshine, character and heat of India that has clouded my judgement.....

Caplan said:
Depends what you mean by Asia? I've been to Southern India and regularly drank ice cold Kingfisher and it was good!!! It's commercially available in the UK in Supermarkets and Curry Houses (probably brewed under licence by someone else) and it's rubbish in UK bottles. Maybe it was just the sunshine, character and heat of India that has clouded my judgement.....

Interesting observation. In the past I've consumed a lot of Red Stripe in Jamaica. Never tried it here at home, but I have always wondered if it would kink of suck-- I suspect that being out in the sun on 7 mile beach in January could also have clouded my judgment about Red Stripe. It sure was good there, though.

mmditter said:
Interesting observation. In the past I've consumed a lot of Red Stripe in Jamaica. Never tried it here at home, but I have always wondered if it would kink of suck-- I suspect that being out in the sun on 7 mile beach in January could also have clouded my judgment about Red Stripe. It sure was good there, though.

I second that. I don't know if it was because I was caught in the moment or what, but I had a few Red Stripes sitting on the beach in Jamaica and it was damn good.

As for other asian beers--UH...you haven't had the korean beers OB or C-ASS, obviously. Terrible beers. TERRIBLE.

Dude said:
As for other asian beers--UH...you haven't had the korean beers OB or C-ASS, obviously. Terrible beers. TERRIBLE.
I can get some Chinese and Thai Beers in my local Chinese Supermarket - They're sold singularly (so i could get a few different ones rather than whole Packs) but I haven't bothered trying any yet.
I've bought Chinese Dry Red Wines (from Grapes grown in China and made in a European style) from there before (I just couldn't resist!!!!!) and they weren't bad - Better than some French Reds I've drunk and paid twice the price for!

My wife and I went to Thailand last year - had both Singha and Beer Chang (literally = Elephant Beer if my Thai is correct). Both are similar - pretty poor in the flavor department, but pack a considerable punch compared to US beers of similar consistency. 6+% alcohol if I remember right. Like the Red Stripe comments above though....when you are sitting on a beach on Koh Samui drinking one in the middle of December, you don't mind.

Yeah Beer Chang is Elephant beer. Apparently the process is a bit hit and miss, so you can end up with rocket fuel and mad dreams, or nothing. I got a hangover from hell after 3 pitchers of it.

I preferred Leo beer in Thailand, similar to beer Lao. My favourite beer that I have discovered so far on the Asian leg of my World Wide Beer Tour (TM) is Angkor Stout. Quite like ye olde Guinness, not quite so bitter. Met the head brewer of Angkor breweries - he used work in St James Gate in Guinness. Guinness is matured for 6 months apparently, Angkor Stout for 3.

I love most of the Asian beers which I stumbled across.
One of the best beers I have ever had was Phuket Beer, bottled & marketed as 'Phuket beer' I managed to put away 16 bottles myself one night and build a nice pyramid on the table to the amusement of bar staff.
Stumbled down Kao San Road and could'nt remember what happened after :)
Woke up quite refreshed.

I was at a thai restaurant the other day and couldn't resist trying a thai beer, they only had Singha beer, It wasn't bad, very light in colour but don't think it will become my drink

While I was in Korea and China a year ago i got to try quite a few different beers unfortunately the only ones i remember were OB and Hite which were plain jane lager style beers but I also got to drink some that had no recognizable English on them and weren't too bad the coolest part of the whole thing was that whenever we went out a beer was only $1 American for something close to a 22oz bottle. So if you ever wanted to do some serious drinking go to China even with the plane ticket it would be cheaper than drinking in the U.S.

Well I took the plunge and bought a can of Tsingtao Lager from my Chinese Supermarket the other week (I actually remembered to get one when I bobbed in to top up my supplies of Asian cooking ingredients!) After a few days i pulled it out of the fridge and cracked it open. Standard 5% ABV non-discript lager really, nothing bad or good about it. I wouldn't rush out to buy it again (i don't with any lagers to be fair) - but by the same principle I certainly wouldn't say no to a cold glass of it on a lazy hot summer day when sat out in the sun! :D

Caplan said:
Well I took the plunge and bought a can of Tsingtao Lager
And I think therein lies the problem, line 1, word 9. Can. Cans never taste as good as bottles. I dunno why, but anytime I've had cans instead of bottles it's been a disappointment. Tsingtao is pretty drinkable over here in China, but there's a few nicer ones - Snow and Blue Sword are pretty decent too. And they're cheaper than Tsingtao as well, which I'm guessing adds to the taste :eek:)
K

I suppose I was a bit spoiled growing up in Southern California because we had every beer available to us at places like Pavilions and Bristol Farms (gourmet supermarkets) so I got to try tons of beers.

I'm on board with the setting making the beer taste better.

I always drink Tsing Tao when I eat Chinese food and it taste great. Very malty for such a light beer.

I always drink Singha when I eat Thai food, the crispness compliments the spicyness of the food.

I aways drink Asahi when I eat sushi. The dryness of the beer helps it not interfere with the comlexities of the sushi. I'll go out on a limb here and say that it's possibly the best dry beer out there.

Ok, critique complete. Back to our regularly scheduled thread...
:drunk:

Anyone ever try Tiger beer from Singapore? I really enjoyed their "Special" in the gold can. Apparently they have won awards for it...but I don't remember. It was awhile back...

Latest posts

Back