Help me choose a fridge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
So, everyone suggests to get that Sanyo fridge at Best Buy. I stopped by today to check out what they had and they only had 2 Oster models that look similar to the Sanyo. One is 4.5 cu. ft. (169.99), and the other is 5.0 cu. ft. (209.99).

I can't decide which one. The 4.5 is smaller which is a plus considering where I'm putting it...but the 5.0 will fit 2 kegs with ease yet it is $40 more.

Here is the 4.5

4_5cf_box.jpg

5cf_inside.jpg

The freezer concerns me.

4_5_freezer.jpg

If the 4.5 cf has a freezer, I doubt it will work. I have a Danby 4.4 cf without a freezer and it will be very tight with 2 kegs (I only have 1 in there now, so I'm not sure how it will work out yet). The Oster 5.0 cf without freezer looks to be about the same as the Sanyo everyone uses, and is the same price as the Sanyo.

The Oster will be your best bet IMHO, but I bet someone with firsthand experience with it will reply sooner or later.

Did you ask about the Sanyo at Best Buy? Locally, they only had the Oster in stock, but were able to transfer (no extra charge) a Sanyo from a nearby store. I ended up getting it for about $150 - I guess they'd been on clearance when they were in stock.

No, the guy was busy jerking around with some old lady so I didn't get a chance to ask him. I'll probably stop by tomorrow and inquire about the Sanyo.

What is the cubic feet on the Sanyo model?

Ya, the 4.5 won't work. I'd be concerned about the 'hump' shelf in the 5.0 that's pictured above, but after seeing the link that MrFebtober provided, It certainly appears do-able.

I just bought the Oster 5.0 and it's going to work great with 2 cornies, 5# CO2, and triple gauge reg. The only real mod you need to do is move the thermostat up to fit the second corny in.

Mike

The Sanyo SR-4912M is 4.9 cu. ft. There are lots of pages detailing the conversion, but this is one of my favorites. Very cleanly done with attention to detail and finish. I'm pretty sure that belongs to somebody around here, but I don't know who.

Instead of the fridge route I bought a smallish chest freezer from home depot for about $150 and converted it in a similar fashion to the link above. The benefit is that it will hold 4 corny kegs and my 5# CO2 bottle instead of just two.

Just another option for you. Good luck!

Alan

Back