Newbie question about "1-2-3" ale fermentation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhommedieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Would someone please explain the "1-2-3" rule for fermenting ales? I've been leaving my beer in the primary fermenter for two weeks, transferring into the secondary for one week, and then waiting at least a month for the beer to season in the keg - with good results.

Some people advocate one week in the primary, two weeks in the secondary, and at least three weeks in the keg, and I was wondering about the rationale for only one week in the primary.

I understand that this is contingent about taking FG readings, etc.

Outdated recommendations. These days most people will recommend 2-3 weeks in primary, 0 weeks in secondary (unless you're adding fruit or something like that) and then however long it takes to carb and condition in the keg.

Its just an "easy to remember" quip that the kit makers use to make it "easy" for new brewers, but it doesnt really apply all that well across the board. Beer is ready when beer is ready. You will find many many answers on here about fermentation schedules. If I were to sum up what I think the average of the group is, its probably something like 3-4 weeks in primary and no secondary. Bottle and condition for 3 weeks at 70+ and then refrigerate for a week before drinking (Assuming you bottle).

And if you are brewing a big beer, throw that out the window. Its really style dependent.

Im sure someone else will argue that, but its ok. You will find your own process after enough brew sessions :)

2 to 3 weeks in primary, 8 to 14 weeks in keg, 10 days on the gas, beers are aged, conditioned, smooth, finished and very nice when we pull the tap.

Cheers :mug:

Mmmm, nothing quite like an 18-week-old IPA. :drunk:

Somehow I doubt that he's leaving IPAs 8-14 weeks in the keg before going on the gas.

For the OP, you can ditch the secondary for almost all brews. Just go 2-3 weeks in the primary, check gravity twice over the next few days to be sure it's done, cold crash if you have the means to do so, and bottle/keg.

Thanks for the responses. Two weeks will be up a week from tomorrow; I'll take a FG reading and decide from there.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on the secondary fermenter (maybe because I hate to see it just sit in the closet, lol)? It's definitely satisfying to move from the primary to the secondary and leave all the trub behind - but necessary? Probably not. I'm sure the beer will be just as clear if I leave it in the primary for an extra week before putting it in the keg.

I'm not sure that I could wait 18 weeks before I carbonate. 8 weeks - maybe. Will the difference between 4 weeks and 8 weeks really make a difference for an ale?

Best,

Steve

As someone already mentioned, beer is ready when it's ready. That's the best piece of advice. Don't rush anything! Wait till the FG has settled before you bottle/keg. If bottling, the style and strength of the beer is really going to determine how long that takes. Some beers might be ready after 10-14 days, while others may take up to 6 weeks and sometimes longer before they're ready.

Thanks for the responses. Two weeks will be up a week from tomorrow; I'll take a FG reading and decide from there.

I don't know why I'm so hung up on the secondary fermenter (maybe because I hate to see it just sit in the closet, lol)? It's definitely satisfying to move from the primary to the secondary and leave all the trub behind - but necessary? Probably not. I'm sure the beer will be just as clear if I leave it in the primary for an extra week before putting it in the keg.

I'm not sure that I could wait 18 weeks before I carbonate. 8 weeks - maybe. Will the difference between 4 weeks and 8 weeks really make a difference for an ale?

Best,

Steve

Don't leave your secondary sit empty in the closet. It makes a fine fermenter for ciders, wines, or meads. Put it to good use so it doesn't keep calling for beer.

Hydrometers tell when beer is ready to bottle, not schedules, not bubbles in the airlock, not your wishes. Use the hydrometer to take a reading about 3 to 4 days before you think you want to bottle, then again on bottling day. If the readings match, bottle it. If the gravity is still going down, wait a week and check it again.

Best,

Steve

Yes it will make a big difference, the taste of a age conditioned beer is nothing like a young beer.

And Im not talking IPAs, I don't Brew IPAs, don't like IPAs ether lol

Their are exceptions to almost everything if you look for them.

Hydrometers tell when beer is ready to bottle, not schedules, not bubbles in the airlock, not your wishes. Use the hydrometer to take a reading about 3 to 4 days before you think you want to bottle, then again on bottling day. If the readings match, bottle it. If the gravity is still going down, wait a week and check it again.

Come on now, wishes should help a bit, right ? lol

Very good reply RM-MN ;)

Latest posts

Back