Your highest score to not even place

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
I had entered a competition recently that had the online entry system (so scores are available quicker, which I love). I checked after judging and got a 40 on a Belgian Dark Strong, which I was thrilled about, only to find it didn't even place in the category. So HBT, what was the highest scoring beer you've had that didn't take home any ribbons? Big comp, little comp, style?

I got 39.5 on a Belgian Tripel that got Honorable Mention. Funny thing is, all the judges said it was pretty much flawless, meanwhile, judges in a simultaneous contest said the same beer had significant flaws and gave it only a 20. Go figure.

I think the highest I got that didn't place was a 43.

Ironically, I've judged some competitions where the highest score in the whole competition wasn't even a 43! Some competitions tend to have higher scores than others.

I got a 40 on an Arrogant bastard clone that I entered as an old ale. Didn't place.

42 on a Belgian pale ale. Across multiple batches, I've entered that beer probably six times and never scored lower than mid-30s. It has yet to win anything - there must be a lot of people making really good beers in that category.

I think the highest I got that didn't place was a 43.

Ironically, I've judged some competitions where the highest score in the whole competition wasn't even a 43! Some competitions tend to have higher scores than others.

That's what I've been thinking. The beer I entered, while I know it's good, had not yet properly conditioned/carbed, and still got a 40. I'm guessing that the scores at this comp were pretty high across the board.

I just had a stout score a 39.5 that didn't place. In contrast, last year entered a pale ale in a comp and it scored a 30....good enough for first. Kinda sucks too because 39.5 (41/38) is my highest score to date and this was the first comp that I've entered that I didn't place.

44 from one judge with 42.3 being the average between the 3 judges. It was the highest overall averaged score in the whole competition and didn't place. It's just the way it goes some times.

I had a pale ale that averaged 42 that didn't place. A couple weeks later in a different comp it scored a 41 and took second. Was actually surprised at how consistent it scored over two comps.

I think I got everyone so far. Ready?? 48.5 (48 and 49) did not place :mug:
It was mead though and in Mazer Cup 2013, category 26C which is apparently had some fearsome competition from all around the world. Not high enough for these guys :) Both scores from professional mead makers

Back